Hardware Card Resolution (1 Viewer)

jawbroken

Portal Pro
August 13, 2005
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
Must be the hardware encoding chip? I guess this is the only thing that makes sense. I don't know if this is a general fault with your card or what. Perhaps it is harder to notice on a regular television. When you make a recording with the card and play it back on, say, a regular computer monitor, does it display the same visual artifacts/issues?

BigBuddha

Portal Pro
August 28, 2005
jawbroken said:
Must be the hardware encoding chip? I guess this is the only thing that makes sense. I don't know if this is a general fault with your card or what. Perhaps it is harder to notice on a regular television. When you make a recording with the card and play it back on, say, a regular computer monitor, does it display the same visual artifacts/issues?

Just tested it out and the answer is a resounding 100% yes.

It is not as noticable because my LCD computer monitor is only 19" and the HDTV is 42" but it's all still there, the same fuzzines, the same look around the text and borders of the STB's osd as though they have been overcompressed and are starting to get little swirls around them.

I have a good screen capture of the OSD in this state, but until you see how crisp the images are when running straight from the STB into the telly, you might be inclined to think the image looks ok.

I didn't really notice it until I saw the two different displays not long after I recently bought the new TV.

Anyway here it is, if you view the image at full size and have a close look at the M rating in the top middle of the OSD you can see how blurry it is. When viewed straight into the telly or through the Sofware card all of the text numbers and lines are better than crystal clear.

OSDSC1.jpg

If you compare this to how crisp the MP OSD looks on your computer monitor then you have a point of reference because that is how this OSD should look and does when not going into the PVR150MCE.

niekh

Portal Member
October 19, 2004
PVR150 drivers?

Apparently Hauppauge are having problems with the drivers for the 150 and there's a vivid discussion going on in the forums of shspvr (http://www.shspvr.com). From my recollection I think the general consensus is that video quality has improved lately but audio still has problems. There are beta drivers to download from this site should you care to try them.

jawbroken

Portal Pro
August 13, 2005
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
I see what you are talking about. I would think it is a product of the MPEG encoding onboard. You will be getting a better picture from the software card because, as I understand it, they pretty much send raw, decoded video data into the program. This is my best guess. I am not sure what, if anything, you can do to fix this. I wonder if anyone else can chime in here if they are getting noticably better results with a composite/svideo in conection to a hardware encoder.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

BigBuddha

Portal Pro
August 28, 2005
Re: PVR150 drivers?

niekh said:
Apparently Hauppauge are having problems with the drivers for the 150 and there's a vivid discussion going on in the forums of shspvr (http://www.shspvr.com). From my recollection I think the general consensus is that video quality has improved lately but audio still has problems. There are beta drivers to download from this site should you care to try them.

Thanks for the headsup. I was already running the Beta drivers from 11/Jan/06 and have just tried the 22/Jan/06 drivers with no appreciable improvement in video quality.

BigBuddha

Portal Pro
August 28, 2005
jawbroken said:
I see what you are talking about. I would think it is a product of the MPEG encoding onboard. You will be getting a better picture from the software card because, as I understand it, they pretty much send raw, decoded video data into the program. This is my best guess. I am not sure what, if anything, you can do to fix this. I wonder if anyone else can chime in here if they are getting noticably better results with a composite/svideo in conection to a hardware encoder.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Hopefully somone else may have a solution as you say.

I thought it worth mentioning that the Hauppage gives the same low quality in the Dscaler program, so on this basis I am assuming that it is not a MP related problem.

Is there a list (or do you know) of any other Hardware encoding cards that are supported by MP. At this stage I am willing to try just about anything :?

BigBuddha

Portal Pro
August 28, 2005
jawbroken said:
https://www.team-mediaportal.com/dokuw/install/capturecards/start

The cards on there with type H/W should be MediaPortal supported.

EDIT: Perhaps you could try a card with a different Chipset, if you are committed to giving a different card a shot.

Sorry to be so ummmm ..... dumb (for lack of a better word) but do you know what chipset the Hauppage PVR150CE uses ?

Thanks for all your help !!

jawbroken

Portal Pro
August 13, 2005
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
It is right on the link above. It says it uses the Conexant CX25843/Conexant CX23416 (I presume it means one or the other).

Also, that is okay, I am happy to help if I can.

Elf

Portal Pro
June 8, 2005
UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
BigBuddah, I'm glad (?) to see someone else is seeing the same effect I am! I'm using a DVB-T card and this describes my situation exactly - when run alongside my Sky STB, there's no comparison, Sky looks crisp and sharp, my output from my VBOX card looks like the screenshot above.
At first I thought it was the S-VHS signal to my TV, but viewing the output on my monitor the effect is just the same. I wondered if an alternative card was the way to go..?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom