Hardware for Server running WHS 2011, TVServer, ExchangeServer and being a NAS (1 Viewer)

MrCrabs

Portal Pro
January 21, 2010
Braunschweig
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hello community,

I am thinking about setting up a homeserver running on WHS 2011 as OS. It should also be my TVServer, maybe ExchangeServer later on and should be a good NAS for my HTPC being a client then and maybe more clients in the future. I am also interested in using it for some homeautomation activities. As a NAS it should be able to connect to many HDDs as I would like to run three or more in RAID5.
As I am totaly new to running servers and I don't have no clue what power it needs where (more CPU or more RAM?). Since the system might run 24/7 in the future it should not be too powerhungry.
What might be a possible setup? What are the most fragile parts that might lower performance and where should I not put too much effort into? I am happy about any info!
Thank you!

flintstone99

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 19, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: Hardware for Server running WHS 2011, TVServer, ExchangeServer and being a NA

Hi,

while I am running WHS V1 and not the 2011 one, my server specs should work for you too.
    I have hmailserver running on thatbox, 3HDDs connected with more SATA ports available, 1PCIe dual DVB S TVcard and a USB DVB S2 card.
    Serves as a file server ("NAS") and usually is far below 15% CPU load. Actually 15%peaks occur only when I stream a HD channel to one client and another SD stream to another client. The driveextendermigrator services causes a lot more load, but you do not have that on WHS 2011.
    Nowadays there is the E-450 but I read that improvements are mostly on the graphics side which you will not need at all in a server. the 2GB RAM is totally sufficient for me.
    See the specs in the signature and the "MY System" link

regards
    flintstone

bwg

Portal Pro
    December 25, 2007
    Home Country
    Hi. I am also starting to look at building a home server that will run MP TV server to feed 2 clients, and am interested in whether MP / TV server will install and run ok on WHS 2011 (since it is officially "unsupported"). I have a Hauppauge HVR-2200 pci-e card. Let me know your experience!

hafblade

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2011
    Trier, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    At the moment I am also thinking about a WHS system for my new home. :)

Due to the fact that I love building my own pcs I first thought of
    1) Using my normal pc as server and buying a new fancy one as my new standard pc :D
    2) Buying some i3 + 4gb ram + 6-sata / usb3 / 2xGigabit LAN server

But after some further thougths I came to some completely build whs servers which do really have compatible hardware and support like this one:
    http://www.chiligreen.com/shop/produkte.asp?typ=275

If you are able to read german you could also look here:
    http://www.home-server-blog.de/2011...nergieverbrauch-performance-und-fazit-teil-3/
    http://www.home-server-blog.de/hardware/

The completely out of the box systems have the ability to be calm, low power consuming (chili green <50w) and they have support which I could possibly not achieve when building the system on my own.

The nice thing about whs 2011 is that you do everything over remote and an on-cpu-graphic should be enough to install it.

pros prebuild system:
    - support
    - ready to go
    - most time calmer then own system
    - low power consumption

cons:
    - nothing to tinker :p
    - perhaps not all ports (usb3 esata) which I would like

That's all I suppose. So a prebuild system would be sooo bad.

hafblade

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2011
    Trier, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yes you are right. I'm using one pci and three usb cards so I would loose perhaps one which is not so hard for me but it's really one no go when you have a larger amount of tv cards.

But what I wanted to say is that it could be a good idea also to look for prebuild systems instead of building some own systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom