Hardware or Software Issue? (1 Viewer)

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi there,

I am currently running a standalone setup in my living room that is based upon Sandybridge's onboard HD3000 graphics (i3-2105). The HDMI output goes into my Yamaha 5.1 amplifier and then on to a Samsung LCD TV (LE40A656).

I have two queries:

1. When there is any fast action on the screen the first two or three lines of pixles at the very top of the screen seem to lag behind the rest - i.e they seem very jerky compared to the rest of the picture. I know it is only a few lines at the top, but it is driving me mad. It is impossible for me to ignore once I noticed it.

I have tried messing around with the TV settings, the onboard graphics and the settings in Mediaportal but it does not go away. Do you guys have any idea whether this might be a hardware or software issue?

Secondly, although my Sandybridge CPU makes MP much more responsive, I am aware that when I watch things back, the video can be a little jerky at times. Is this common with HD3000 graphics.

I have compared the output on my bedroom setup (32" Toshiba Regza with Acer Revo Aspire 3610) and the picture just seems to be so much better. Can anyone confirm why this might be?

1. The Toshiba is a new TV, so is it possible that it is just a better picture? or
2. I have heard that the Nvidia Ion graphics found in the Aspire is still vastly suprior to Intel's HD3000 graphics - is this true?

Ultimately, what are people's views on Intel onboard graphics and whether they are good enough for HPTC use?

Thanks very much.

Alex

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    One thing I picked up on the doom9 forum, "i" serious of cpu's do not let windows install driver, use Intels very latest installer, they need some extra software to work correctly, have you already tried this!!

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Hi Ray,

Thanks for that - I had absolutely no idea. I only let Windows install whatever it needs in terms of hardware.

I think you may well have hit the nail on the head - would it be possible to point me toward that installer please?

Thanks mate

Alex

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Hi Alex

Cannot find original post, but looking on the intel site, you need there automatic identification tool to download anything, all the links I tried were dead ends.
    The other thing worth looking for is a bios update for your motherboard, as that was related also to the fix that I thought of as well.

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Hi Ray,

You absolute genius - I went to the intel sight and it kept saying that I did not have any intel graphics drivers to update.
    I then did a bios update and tried again and it immediately told me that my drivers needed updating.

All my prior problems have immediately disappeared - the picture quality is now fantastic and there is no jerkiness right at the top of the picture.

Thanks so much for the help.

Alex

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Hi Alex

Good to know, so anyone with i3\i5\i7 check motherboard for a bios update, then see if new drivers needed appear.

Thanks to the guys at doom9 for pointing this out :D

mastix

April 25, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hey Ray,

do you know any specifics about the things that have changed with the latest BIOS update? I mean there are a lot of motherboard manufacturers out there... so what's the update I have to look for?! :)

BTW: Intel showed me a new driver... :D

Greetz,

Sascha

Last edited:

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Sorry Sascha, have no idea what the bios update involved specifically, just know that its main purpose was graphics related, so glad you got the driver update, hopefully you will notice a difference :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom