Hardware requirements for HD playack on a client PC? (1 Viewer)

eXDee

Portal Pro
February 20, 2008
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I highly suggest the 8500GT or 9400GT. CPU Playback can't match GPU playback in terms of smoothness. Over here in NZ we have Freeview HD h264 DVB-T, which is broadcast in 720p and 1080i. Plays back smooth as with GPU acceleration on all my computers, that is 8500GT, HD4850 and 9600GT. I use the PowerDVD8 codecs.
If you asked in the NZ thread about playing back HD (MPEG4 h264, not MPEG2) with that system you'd be told to get a graphics card.

alexeix

Portal Pro
January 28, 2005
UK
Hey alexeix,

I'm also thinking of getting the dell studio hybrid - Did you purchase it? If so, did HDTV (h.264) work as hoped?

Ta,

Ian.

After reading conflicting advice about it, I decided not to buy. I think I'll wait and see if Dell improve the graphics on that machine. As I understand it, the Dell might be able to play back 1080p, but there will be dropped frames and stuttering in fast-paced scenes, as suggested above by eXDee.

I believe Asus are releasing an updated version of the Eee Box, with a GPU that can handle full HD, so that's another option; probably cheaper too.

See here: ASUS Eee Box B204 / B206 grows an HDMI port, handles high-def material - Engadget

kellizer2

Portal Member
December 3, 2006
I believe Asus are releasing an updated version of the Eee Box, with a GPU that can handle full HD, so that's another option; probably cheaper too.

Thats looks ace :D - i saw the eee at the weekend in PC World and it looks sweet as. Good call - hopefully it is released before too long (new year hopefully).

Ian.

alexeix

Portal Pro
January 28, 2005
UK
The existing Asus Eee Box will play 720p without any problems, according to several reviews I read.

They're very unlikely to get Blu-ray though, since they're designed to be cheap and small, adding BR would increase both of those significantly.

The Eee Box even has a standard vesa mount, so can be stuck on the back of any compatible TV/monitor. A nice extra, since it has no CD/DVD drive that you'll need to access.

I'm looking forward to the beefed up GPU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom