1.25.0 Harmony Remote and Microsoft IR Receiver (1 Viewer)

Murray

August 13, 2020
Adelaide, Australia
Home Country
Australia Australia
I have a Logitech Harmony 650 remote and Microsoft 1040 IR receiver which I used successfully for several years on a home-built PC running Win 7 and WMC with DVD player, digital Radio and Yamaha 5.1 sound system. It worked great. I have now upgraded to Win 10 and MP1 but, after weeks of trying, I can not get the remote to control my HTPC/MP1.25. I reset the remote and configured it again - with the MyHarmony app - but it didn't help. Is there a step by step guide to configure the remote and, if necessary, MP1? The re-programmed remote still controls the other AV devices; just not the PC. It appears the IR receiver is detecting the signals but the PC/MP1 is not processing them successfully - or IR incorrect codes are being sent and not recognized by the PC/MP1..

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have a Logitech Harmony 650 remote and Microsoft 1040 IR receiver which I used successfully for several years on a home-built PC running Win 7 and WMC ... It worked great ... I have now upgraded to Win 10 and MP1 but, after weeks of trying, I can not get the remote to control my HTPC/MP1.25.
    I use a Harmony 650 with MP 1.27, but the IR receiver that I use is the one for the Ortek/Hama remote control. However, the Microsoft IR receiver should work without problem with the Harmony.

Do any of the buttons on the Harmony work? I think that a common test is to start "Notepad", and then press the UP, DOWN, LEFT, and RIGHT buttons to see if they move the cursor in "Notepad".

Remote control setup is described here in the MP Wiki, so read that to make sure your settings are correct. Also, to be able to start MP from the Windows desktop, you need to disable WMC services, and enable the "MPTray" application; see this page in the Wiki.

When you install MP, you get a default MP configuration for the remote control which should provide you with all of the common functions, but you can of course modify the button assignments to suit your own preferences.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I've been using the Harmony remotes (300 series, currently 650) for many years with my MS IR receiver with no issue. No issue with any of the MP versions to 1.27 and Win10. In Device Manager, "Human Interface" section, it is set as Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver. In MP Config make sure in "Remotes and Input Devices" section, Profile is set as "classic", and have "Enable HID" selected.

Last edited:

atlantic

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 9, 2008
    Rennes
    Home Country
    France France
    I use my harmony one with Win 10 uptodate. No problem.
    But, I have to say, there is a latency with directional buttons...

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    I just recently moved to the 650 when my 350 died (since they no longer offer the 300 series) and also noticed an increase in response time. I did not change MP settings from the previous remote (there are latency adjustments in MP Config), so I assume the latency is because of the more complex programming and circuitry in the more "advanced" remote models. The 300 series was pure simplicity, and I miss it. Not to mention battery life was shortened from months to weeks. There is a lot going on under the hood.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    upon a second look at MP Config, there is no latency setting... only "Repeat delay" and "Repeat speed" settings, not even in Windows is there a setting for latency for HID devices. If the remote doesn't have those settings in the MyHarmony setup, then there is no recourse. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom