Harmony remotes (1 Viewer)

Atomic7431

Portal Pro
June 17, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Which harmony remote for my needs please help :)

I currently have a hp receiver and mce remote, i would like to have something that can turn on my amp and bring pc out of sleep (when required) and turn my tv on and to the right av channel for my htpc, and to then control mepo as i do now with the hp remote.
A lot to ask but im sure you great people can advise me in the right direction to go with this please as it will simplify the 3 remotes i have at present for my wife and kids :)

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hard to recommend a specific model.... It kinda depends on the good old "How much" Q.

IMO, Harmony isn't as good as a MCE remote due to being less responsive.... this is why my Harmony currently rests in a drawer :). Not the input you wanted, but thought you wanted to know.

Atomic7431

Portal Pro
    June 17, 2011
    Home Country
    no this is exactly what i wanted, i need to know if its not as good for any reason, and the main reason i was thinking of changing was because of non backlight keys and ease of use for the wife. And if sluggish response she may think shes not pressed a key when in fact she did and re press and do something else she never intended. So i may look at an mce with backlight keys or non intrusive backlights in the room above where we sit so no glare on the plasma.

thanks for the input, i have been looking at the harmony since posting here and there seems to be very varied reports on both setup and functionality.

wonkyd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2007
    Home Country
    IMO, Harmony isn't as good as a MCE remote due to being less responsive.... this is why my Harmony currently rests in a drawer :). Not the input you wanted, but thought you wanted to know.

That's exactly where I put mine for the same reason. Its a shame as they are fantastic remotes, just the lag is so annoying!

mr viggo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I went from a MS MCE-remote to a Harmony a few years ago and I can't tell that it has a lag. IIRC you can edit all the timings somewhere in that horrible configuring tool for the remote. But when its done its done. :)

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    ^ Yup. Did that as well, but not even close to MCE responsiveness.

As I do have a free Harmony and a MCE IR-receiver, I might pick this up on my laptop.

Atomic7431

Portal Pro
    June 17, 2011
    Home Country
    Seems every ones experiences are different and no definitive answer, wish i had one here to test between the two remotes lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom