Operating System Has anyone had any experience of using Openelec with Mediaportal backend? (1 Viewer)

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello,

I have been considering selling my Acer Revo Aspire R3610 for a while now but have never got round to it - the main reason being that Windows 7 and the mediaportal frontend are just too bloated for it and it can be frustratingly slow at times - it also takes ages to boot up.

I have been doing a bit of research and Openelec have a version especially developed for Ion systems and should (in theory) make the Revo fly.

However, I was wondering how it works in practice - is Openelec a viable alternative for clients that have rather meagre hardware?

Also, are there any limitations in terms of things that I can do with the Mediaportal Frontend but not Openelec?

Thanks very much.

Alex

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I had a play with this last night and the interflace absolutely flies - my client boots in a couple of seconds, channel changes are superfast and my recording folder loads much more quickly. Another bonus is that my nasty Emprex remote seems to fully work, which it did not with my Mediaportal Client.

The downside (though this might be amendable) is that if you schedule a recording from Openelec, it does not show up in the EPG in my living room. It also does not seem to show that a recording has been watched using Openelec either.

Another really irritating drawback is that the Openelc drivers are picking up the internal wireless card for the Revo only and not the USB N Standard Netgear stick - bad news as the internal card is only G Standard speed and a bit choppy.

It has probably been suggested dozens of times before but it is a shame that there is not a similar super stripped-down Mediaportal Client version of this.

Adolfo Barbosa

April 18, 2013
Home Country
Colombia Colombia
I had a play with this last night and the interflace absolutely flies - my client boots in a couple of seconds, channel changes are superfast and my recording folder loads much more quickly. Another bonus is that my nasty Emprex remote seems to fully work, which it did not with my Mediaportal Client.

The downside (though this might be amendable) is that if you schedule a recording from Openelec, it does not show up in the EPG in my living room. It also does not seem to show that a recording has been watched using Openelec either.

Another really irritating drawback is that the Openelc drivers are picking up the internal wireless card for the Revo only and not the USB N Standard Netgear stick - bad news as the internal card is only G Standard speed and a bit choppy.

It has probably been suggested dozens of times before but it is a shame that there is not a similar super stripped-down Mediaportal Client version of this.

Good Night my Friend, my name is Adolfo Barbosa i am from Colombia south america, searching in google i found your experience above Opemelec and MediaPortal.

I am needing send TV cable signal thought internet to my parents in another house.

I am seeing a Zbox nano, and I m thinking install on it Openelec. i have my windows TV server . i need your help if you can guide me how install openelec like Mediaportal client to see TV.

Thanks so much for your Help

A big hug

Adolfo Barbosa

glenb83

Portal Pro
April 24, 2009
Home Country
Hello,

I have been considering selling my Acer Revo Aspire R3610 for a while now but have never got round to it - the main reason being that Windows 7 and the mediaportal frontend are just too bloated for it and it can be frustratingly slow at times - it also takes ages to boot up.

I have been doing a bit of research and Openelec have a version especially developed for Ion systems and should (in theory) make the Revo fly.

However, I was wondering how it works in practice - is Openelec a viable alternative for clients that have rather meagre hardware?

Also, are there any limitations in terms of things that I can do with the Mediaportal Frontend but not Openelec?

Thanks very much.

Alex

Hi elsmandino,

I just found your post by chance and I'm very curious! I love mediaportal but also get frustrated with the bloat/load times of mediaportal/windows.

I had never heard of openelec till I saw this post and now I am very interested in trying it out! Main thing I want to know, the mediaportal frontend does it allow all the same features/plugins as mediaportal or is it just to provide the 'look' of mediaportal?

Can you link me to more info about the mediaportal frontend for openelec?

Thanks!

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

Yes MePo is a lot more powerful and has more features than openelec (XBMC)

Can you link me to more info about the mediaportal frontend for openelec?

There is no Mediaportal front end for openelec. Openelec is XBMC + Linux operating system. Mediaportal uses windows operating system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom