Operating System Has anyone successfully run TVengine3 on FreeBSD (1 Viewer)

Wuptdo

December 13, 2008
Heya,

I'm wanting to build a server for the devices/pc's in my house to stream video store files etc, and FreeBSD seems to be the best contender due to its use of the execellent ZFS filesystem.

However before i go ahead 100% with this OS, i would want to later proabaly expand the server for it to house some TV Pci Cards, FreeBSD does have 'some' driver support for these cards. However the thing is that i would like it to be media portal based, due to its nice, clean, interface. Well i think so anyway :) and i bet you do too, if you're on these forums. :p

But there is the issue that it does not support FreeBSD, however I was wondering if anyone has successfully run the TVengine3 on the FreeBSD OS? (through something like Wine)

Most likely no, but worth a try asking :D

Anyway thanks if anyone can answer the question for me! :D

Cheers

Wuptdo

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    Sorry I cant answer the question, but, just out of curiosity, what is the advantage of ZFS over NTFS?

Wouldnt a Virtual Machine be an easier option than Wine to make it work with freeBSD?

Wuptdo

December 13, 2008
    A question i asked myself a few days ago, i got the reply;

'ZFS can not directly be compared with NTFS, because they differ alot. The RAID-engine contained in ZFS means it can perform tricks only possible when both RAID and filesystem are aware of eachother and can share information to optimize data storage and performance. Its unique technology and at the moment the coolest filesystem to store your data on, IMO.'

But in terms of the solid advantages,

-You can take snapshots of the current files on the volume, or only a selective part of the volume so you can later revert back to them.

-The file system takes repeated snapshots of itself, thus allows it to automatically repair corrupted files on its own without user intervention.

-And finally, Quick access/write times.

-But there are lots more features that can be found here

Regards

Wuptdo

Troy

Portal Pro
    October 25, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    My University just switched there samba shares to ZFS and the result was: two weeks without a usable computer...

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    My University just switched there samba shares to ZFS and the result was: two weeks without a usable computer...

That could be more of a reflection on the skill of the IT staff rather than an indication of the quality of the file system or OS...

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Running TVE3 in virtualized environment is possible only when you use USB-tuners. If you really want to use ZFS then I would suggest that you build two different servers. One as file server (as FreeBSD based) and one for running real Windows (Vista preferred) server for hosting the TVE3 process.

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    So Firewire tuners are out of the option aswell?

Personally I'm running Nexenta Core as my fileserver and Vista on TV-Server.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom