1.17.0 Hauppauge 2250 Radio/TV work in tv server configuration (preview) but only radio works in MP (1 Viewer)

Pierreb

February 5, 2013
Home Country
Canada Canada
MediaPortal Version: 1.17.0

Description
Hi, thank you for MediaPortal great product.
Here is the problem, my hauppauge HVR-2250 will play tv or radio when i install win tv 7, so i know it's working.
i have no problem during MediaPortal installation and configuration of MediaPortal and configuration of tv server does not have problem, tv and radio channels are detected and play well when i use Preview from within tv server configuration, but only radio will play from the home screen of mediaportal, if i go into config of tv and delete all the radio stations now tv will work from media portals home screen, would appreciate help and/or advice

Steps to Reproduce:
i have had this same problem with earlier versions of MediaPortal also but i cannot ignore it any longer

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

I suspect the cause of your problem is that you've somehow managed to delete or rename the TV and/or radio "All Channels" group.

In order for MediaPortal TV and radio to function correctly you must:
    1. Have a TV channel group named "All Channels".
    2. Have a radio channel group named "All Channels".
    Use TV Server Configuration to check if one or both of those groups are missing. If they're missing, use TV Server Configuration to recreate them.

mm

Pierreb

February 5, 2013
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thank You very much !
    That has solved the problem, which i have had for years on at least 3 different computers. Not being very tech savvy i tend to accept the defaults during install and configuration. During many installs and configs, the all channels group has not been created automatically for both tv and radio, i had no idea of that requirment.
    This installation, during tv server config the all channels group was created automatically for tv channels but radio created a group called Analog and no all channels group.
    Once i created the all channels group and populated it with only one channel all worked well from mp home page.
    Very much appreciated to be rid of this nagging problem

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thank You very much !
    You're welcome. :)

That has solved the problem, which i have had for years on at least 3 different computers.
    While I'm happy the problem is solved, I'm sorry that you've put up with it so long. Please don't hesitate to ask for assistance with problems like these.

I should also say: I'm very surprised at your experience. Same problem on at least 3 computers? Well, in the time that I've been associated with MediaPortal - more than 5 years - I only recall one or two people out of hundreds (if not thousands) who reported experiencing a similar problem. Something doesn't seem right!

Not being very tech savvy i tend to accept the defaults during install and configuration. During many installs and configs, the all channels group has not been created automatically for both tv and radio, i had no idea of that requirment.
    Accepting the defaults should be fine. You shouldn't have to know about the requirement; it should just work!

Both the TV and radio "All Channels" groups are always created at the time that TV Server is installed. Always. Nothing you choose (or don't choose) during installation can affect that.

This installation, during tv server config the all channels group was created automatically for tv channels but radio created a group called Analog and no all channels group.
    Mmmm, let's dig into this comment a little further. I'm convinced that something you do/did during configuration causes/caused the radio All Channels group to be deleted or renamed.
    Can you give a quick/rough list of what you do?

Very much appreciated to be rid of this nagging problem
    It would be great if you could follow up so we can figure out how the problem was caused and prevent it from happening again.

Pierreb

February 5, 2013
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I am happy to help and will forward any configuration files that would be necessary.
    Now this is the procedure to configure MP as i recall it, after the installation, which is always a quick and painless experience
    First-- i open Mp-Config and adjust each item in the tree starting at the top, for my individual needs, mostly accepting the defaults the only real changes i make is reassign Drive letter and folders for Video,Music,Pictures so as to use the C drive as little as possible and i configure Lav codecs (mostly defaults),(except I do not open the TV-Radio item).
    Second--Tv Server config, after opening the top item in the tree i configure the Hauppauge 2250 Hybrid card (1 analog to 1 astc and the second analog to the second astc)
    next i scan for channels on both astc and one analog the other analog does not support analog scan. once the channels are found i next go to configuring recording and timeshift
    to remove them from C drive to their own folders on the D drive. The rest of the configuration is accepting defaults if i remember correctly.
    Third--Now back to MP-Config and tv-radio item in the tree where i test the connection, never have problems with connecting. That is pretty much it and i can enjoy a great multimedia experience which gives me enough control of the system. By the way i have and older machine (not in use, in storage) which has an ati HD Wonder 650 pci tuner card and MP is installed, i will just connect it and see if it has the all channels group for tv and all channels group for radio.
    Thanks and i hope this is helpful.

Pierreb

February 5, 2013
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi
    This is what i have done since your last message.
    installed win 7 64bit on a new 120GB SSD with all hardware and software updates, bios latest version.
    installed MP v1.17, after a successful install, i close the installer and go 1st thing to tv server configuration and check if tv channels has and all channels group, and it does have
    that group (always happens this way).

Next i go to radio channels to check for the all channels group and as usual it's not there but there is a group named analog.

Next, i check if the create analog group has a check mark in it's option and it is unchecked (this is from the scan screen for the analog tuner)

There is another option from within mediaportal configuration TV/Radio, radio has an option to hide the analog group, which is unchecked and i leave it that way.
    This is what is always happening with this hauppauge card, so i installed an ATI HD wonder 650 pci card in another computer and the exact same thing happens, so i
    think this is what must have been going on for a long time.
    Well, now that the fix is so easily done and that i put up with it 4 so long, i had to be under a curse.
    Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom