Hauppauge HVR-1850 install? (1 Viewer)

CanadianEh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 21, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    @mm... Thank you very much for your quick, thorough, and easy-to-follow reply. I appreciate it!

I am not enthusiastic about the potential difficulty of getting MP/TV Server to work with my DirecTV. What makes it difficult? The fact that it is a STB? The blasting (doesn't IRSS assist in that?). Actually, I am not blasting... I have a USB connection from my PC to the STB that Beyond TV (it has also worked with NextPVR) uses to control channel changes. Does that impact the difficulty?

If it is a card issue, can you recommend a card that could replace my HVR-1850?

If it is something else that makes this difficult (at least), please comment...

Thank you again for your reply. I look forward to continuing the conversation. Happy Holidays!

So... a couple of things. Is your DirecTV box a standard-def or high-definition receiver? Are you expecting to be able to capture HD from the DirecTV STB? If so, the HVR-1850 is not capable of capturing HD signal, as it's only inputs are coax (SD), RCA/Composite (SD), and S-Video (slightly higher than SD). You would need a Hauppauge HD-PVR, or a Hauppauge Colossus to capture using component (the R-G-B cables) video output.

One other thing I wanted to point out, is that some of the newer DirecTV boxes have ethernet ports on them, which if you search these forums, there is a DirecTV SHEF plugin that will let you perform the channel changes over ethernet. I'm not aware of a way over USB, but I suppose that could exist, as well.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    One other thing I wanted to point out, is that some of the newer DirecTV boxes have ethernet ports on them, which if you search these forums, there is a DirecTV SHEF plugin that will let you perform the channel changes over ethernet. I'm not aware of a way over USB, but I suppose that could exist, as well.
    Drew mentioned this in an earlier thread:
    The STB is too old to have SHEF or an ethernet port.

vogelap

Portal Member
    August 14, 2006
    Cincinnati, Ohio USA
    Home Country
    So... a couple of things. Is your DirecTV box a standard-def or high-definition receiver? Are you expecting to be able to capture HD from the DirecTV STB? If so, the HVR-1850 is not capable of capturing HD signal, as it's only inputs are coax (SD), RCA/Composite (SD), and S-Video (slightly higher than SD). You would need a Hauppauge HD-PVR, or a Hauppauge Colossus to capture using component (the R-G-B cables) video output.
    The DirecTV box is SD and I am expecting only to capture SD from it. As stated, it's working with BeyondTV right now (and has been for a number of years). I understand that the HVR-1850 captures only SD.

I also have a DViCO FusionHDTV5 Gold card in the machine with which I capture OTA HD.

vogelap

Portal Member
    August 14, 2006
    Cincinnati, Ohio USA
    Home Country
    Hi mm1352000. Thanks for checking in. I've gotten a bit stalled in the setup owing to outside forces... We traveled for several days, etc. Also, my attempt to switch from COAX to S-Video was stalled because I don't have the correct audio cable on-hand, and diversions have prevented me from getting what I need.

My enthusiasm for getting this done and appreciation for your assistance are not reflected in my lack of time to work on it! I'm hoping to have time this coming Monday, so expect a report (or more questions!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom