Hauppauge Nova-T500 use too much CPU power... ?!? (1 Viewer)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Unless There is a conflict with other drivers or software, then CPU should be under 30% max, previous system with XP2800 used to run at 10-20% with recording/timeshifting.

Remember DVB-T has no conversion to do, so only the software shows up as being used by the cpu and that includes whichever decoder you are using (mines Nvidia)

Creative drivers can cause problems with other multimedia drivers, have read this on a few other forums, check for the latest for any fixes.

Must admit my T500 has been running non-stop for the past eight days without any hiccups.

Hope you resolve your problem soon.

pshdo

Portal Pro
    February 5, 2005
    Holbaek, Denmark
    Hi again....
    - happy new year...!

Hope you resolve your problem soon.

I think i have solved my problem now.....:D
    - it has been hard to do, so now i´m not shure if i dare to use the system at all.... ;)

Ok what i did, was that i discovered that when i used the mouse, then more often than not, the cpu-load went to 100% for a while.....
    - and with the information that the Nova-t 500 was actually 2xUSB recivers on a "USB to PCI" card, i thought i would have a look at that......

I looked at the card and found that it was a VIA VT6212L chip that was on the card.... Now typing VIA VT6212 in Google gave me some info, that i thought i should have a look at.....

http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.aspx?catid=16&threadid=65851&enterthread=y

I removed the Hauppauge drivers on my HTPC with HWClear (a Hauppauge driver removal tool)......

Some of the info from the site was to disable the USB Legacy in the BIOS, and install the VIA_USB2_V260-L drivers....

So i went the safe way and completely disabled the motherboard USB ports..
    (and at the same time i connected my mouse and keyboard to the PS/2 ports)

Then i found that there is newer VIA_USB2_V270p1-L drivers now, that i installed...

Then i installed the drivers for the Hauppauge, and tried the card..... and now the Nova-t 500 works......
    CPU at arround 30-40% when recording and wiewing a channel at the same time.... (under 20% when only recording.... but recording 2 channels at once !)

Now i had the problem that my ATI RemoteWonder reciver is USB, so i tried to enable the motherboard USB again, but leaving the Legacy disabled, and it still works.....

So i would like to hear if this is perhaps why some of you can make it run and some can´t.....
    - have you enabled or disabled the USB legacy support in the BIOS ??

chenks

Portal Pro
    May 22, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    can't say i've tried that to be honest.

i expected the card to work "out the box" and not have to install 3rd party drivers to get it operating correctly.

my PC is in "Kiosk" mode, so no keyboard and mouse connected when in use. only connect them to do admin work that i can't do via VNC.

can you post the link to download the via drivers from ?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Happy New Year to ALL

pshdo, Keeping fingers crossed that you have fixed it. Yes usb legacy enabled.

chenks, Via driver included with Hauppauge software anyway, but like everything there are always changes, hopefully like MP for the better :D

pshdo

Portal Pro
    February 5, 2005
    Holbaek, Denmark
    Hi there.....

Here is the 270 driver......

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=1&CatID=1200&SubCatID=122

But i was a litle fast in saying that that solved the problem, as it turns out it did not.......

I still get the 100% CPU load, just not as often, and not for that long time eigther......

I actually don´t know what to do now......
    - i don´t thing it is fair that we should just sit back with a 110$ TV-card, and wait for Hauppauge to hopefully provide us with better drivers for the card in the future....... :-(

Supprice supprice Hauppauge, i actually bought the card becource i should use it.....

Anyway, thanks to you both for your great help...... ;)

pshdo

Portal Pro
    February 5, 2005
    Holbaek, Denmark
    Hi there.....

I just saw what appear to be a solution to the problem.....
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showpost.php?p=100396&postcount=51

Now, i also saw that it was not shure that Windows would be stable after this update.....
    - i have to wait and see if that is the case for me also......

Right now i´m recording at under 10%, and has been for about 15 minutes now.......

I keep my fingers crossed......

chenks

Portal Pro
    May 22, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    nah .. my systems already have that patch on it... and it made no difference.

pshdo

Portal Pro
    February 5, 2005
    Holbaek, Denmark
    Hi again....

I just got this from Hauppauge:
    from the sounds of it though from what you've said it sounds like a MS issue rather than us but i'll mention it to engineering and see if they can confirm.

So lets hope that the engeneers at Hauppauge can find a solution to the problem......

@ chenks:
    Can it be that some other update to your system have changed the files back to the old again ??
    (Just guessing here, i don´t know mutch about this at all)

BTW:
    My system recorded for 4 hours on one of the channels, without any problems at all.....
    Then i recorded for an hour with all 3 tv-tuners running on about 24% CPU-load, still no problem at all......

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom