Hauppauge USB Dual Tuner for Australia (1 Viewer)

Skywizard

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Canberra
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I am getting tired of the big box for my media centre (and having to fight with it just to watch TV) so I am looking at using one of these for the back and frontend to watch TV (and music and Videos). It will need to use USB TV tuners so I am looking at getting 2 of these.

What I am after is confirmation of these working with Australian FTA digital TV. We use the DVB-T TV standard (if that is the correct term) and I think it is the same as the UK..

I have emailed Hauppauge sales a couple of weeks ago asking the same question but have not received any reply.

Timberwolf99

Portal Pro
    November 20, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I have a dual tuner card, works pretty much as expected and contry to au Hauppage support has virtual tuners. Some of our channels were not picked up bad to manually input details for sbs so far, but all the major channels worked.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    so I am looking at using one of these for the back and frontend to watch TV
    Looks very nice! :) The one aspect that I would be wary of is the question of fan noise. Does it have a fan? The web page does not mention this. I believe that the "rule of thumb" is:

Small case -> small fan -> spins quickly -> much noise
    Large case -> large fan -> spins slowly -> little noise

On the plus side, the processor is a "U" type, which I think is one of the low voltage types (hence low power consumption, low heat generation, and less need for a fan).

I am also thinking about building a new HTPC. I currently have a full-size tower system adjacent to the TV, but for me it is the fan noise that is the primary motivator to build a new one. If I do, it will have no moving parts :eek: (no CPU fan, no GPU fan, no power-supply fan, no case fan, no spinning disks).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Skywizard

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Canberra
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Does it have a fan?
    Not as far as I am aware.

At this stage I do plan to use a spinning disk to hold music, DVDs/videos and recorded TV, I see I can now get 6Tb disks.

From what I have read on the specs of the box I can have a 3.5" disk or a 2.5 inch (SSD) disk; I am not sure I can have both. I intend to get the new box and re-use disks, I have both spinning disk (4Tb) and an SSD (250gig I think it is), from the old MC. I intend to get 16gig ram and use a RAM disk for live TV buffer.

I have Kaiser-Baas single USB tuner to use as a proof of concept before I purchase the hauppauge USB dual tuners and I would like confirmation that they will work with the OZ tv transmissions.

I have a dual tuner card,
    I do have a 2 dual tuner Hauppauge HVR-2215's in my old MC but I cannot use those in the ASUS I plan to get. I bought those cards in Australia and not UK. I would have to get the dual USB tuners from the UK as they do not seem to be available in Oz that is why I would like confirmation that they will work in Oz.

Last edited:

Skywizard

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Canberra
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks for the link - Ouch $174 each - It looks like the UK ones are A$100 + shipping plus the UK ones have the IEC connector (the big round one lol) - the ones in the link looks like you need special purpose antenna.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

Skywizard

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Canberra
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    It is not so much whether or not it would work with MP - that was not the question I was asking.

Rather is was more a case of whether or not the tuner would work on Australian TV frequencies and the Australian TV encoding system, if that is the correct term, as I intend to purchase from the UK.

Thank you for pointing out rule 1, but I do not think that rule applies in this instance.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ...then please refer to the first sentence in my reply:
    "I confirm that the Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD will work in Australia with MediaPortal."

There's nothing non-standard about DVB-T broadcasts in Australia. If a product claims DVB-T compatibility, it should work anywhere DVB-T is implemented. That includes Australia and much of the rest of the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom