Have an idea, but need help realizing it (2 Viewers)

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Damn.... I really still want this... now... who do I have to pay? :D

Seriously (no, I'm not gonna pay!), if anyone could help me getting started or give hints/tips - or create some gfx (mine sucks), I would really appreciate it.

J

joostzilla

Doesn't the new PureVisionHD 4.5 menu look like your mockup?

True!. But his menu proves that icons are often not very efficient. This menu still has to show the description of the icon.
    In that case there is no point in having navigation through icons. That doensnt mean you cant use images to enhance the navigation experience.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Offbyone: Yup.
    (...) Catavaolt has already realized a modified version of it for his PureVisionHD (damn he's fast!), but unfortunately this is not my cup of tea (...)
    This could perhaps help a bit with XML-coding, but gfx are still needed. Thinking of how much time this would take for me to do, I'm even more impressed by the work done by skinners and plugin makers!

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    This menu still has to show the description of the icon.
    In that case there is no point in having navigation through icons. That doensnt mean you cant use images to enhance the navigation experience.

I've re-read this many times, but haven't quite figured out what you are aiming at here :sorry:
    "This menu still has to show the description of the icon." <- The icon is a category. It does not need to be described, just understood. When selected, it lists (in text) plugins belonging to that category.

For ref.
    68100d1284488931-have-idea-but-need-help-realizing-bhsidea.png

Here:
    Going down - same icon lighted (movies) - plugin named "movies" (in text - could be moving pictures) is highlighted
    Going left - music icon lighted, and music relevant plugins listed (in text) text

J

joostzilla

This menu still has to show the description of the icon.

I've re-read this many times, but haven't quite figured out what you are aiming at here :sorry:
    "This menu still has to show the description of the icon." <- The icon is a category. It does not need to be described, just understood. When selected, it lists (in text) plugins belonging to that category.

For ref.

Here:
    Going down - same icon lighted (movies) - plugin named "movies" (in text - could be moving pictures) is highlighted
    Going left - music icon lighted, and music relevant plugins listed (in text) text

What i mean is that Catavolts menu describes the icon. And i think that this should not be neccesary for understanding the icon.

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Have an idea, but need help realizing it

Well, I made the description above the icons to really clarify in which group you are. I thougt the icons I made up were a bit self-explaining - but you never know ;)

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    @ Joostzilla:
    Ah... I just might be a bit on the slow side.

I agree that the "icon label" should not be needed (in Norway we call that "butter on fat", but it translates poorly :D). PVHD also operates with ten (icon)categories, which is to much for my personal taste - although it might explain the need for the icon label.

J

joostzilla

Re: AW: Have an idea, but need help realizing it

Well, I made the description above the icons to really clarify in which group you are. I thougt the icons I made up were a bit self-explaining - but you never know ;)

I know how hard it is to make icons that are self explanetory. It is practically impossible.
    Thats why it was indeed a great idea to describe your icons Catavolt. But knowing that perhaps its better to replace the icons with text. Or... Use only common icons like: movies, music, settings, weather etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom