Having a screensaver when not using MP? (1 Viewer)

wtfidiot21

Portal Member
October 13, 2005
I was wondering if there was a way to map a button on a remote thru media portal to run a screensaver. I tried dozen's of times to use the My Programs feature to no result. It seems like rocket science? I know you can have a screensaver running when media portal is running but say when watching TV for a long period of time the screensaver pops on. Is there a way to just turn a screensaver on/off from within mediaportal whenever you want. Reason being I got a killer Marine Aquarium screensaver that looks pretty close to a live fish tank. Thanks in advance....

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    Boston, Massachusetts USA
    A screensaver is simply an execuable program with the .scr extension. As such, launching the screensaver is quite easy;

c:\windows\system32\logon.scr /s

starts the standard WinXP screensaver.

You can create a batch file using note pad. Copy and paste the path to your favorite screensaver and save your batch file as screensaver.bat or similar.

--Steve

[EDIT] command line was missing the "/s" (start) switch

Also, to get this to work with My Programs, create a File Launcher item in My Programs setup and add the screensaver batch file to this File Launcher entry via the "Files" tab.

wtfidiot21

Portal Member
    October 13, 2005
    Thanks, for your help SteveV. I think I'm getting a hang of this MY Program feature in MP. I was able to launch my screensaver within MP but I can't shut it off without using the mouse or keyboard. I use a Hauppage 45button remote to navigate thru MP. Is there maybe some command I have to include in my batch file to use the remote to shut off the screensaver. Any help is appreciated. Thanks...

It just would be sweet if I could make the most of my remote....

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    Boston, Massachusetts USA
    wtfidiot21 said:
    Thanks, for your help SteveV. I think I'm getting a hang of this MY Program feature in MP. I was able to launch my screensaver within MP but I can't shut it off without using the mouse or keyboard. I use a Hauppage 45button remote to navigate thru MP. Is there maybe some command I have to include in my batch file to use the remote to shut off the screensaver. Any help is appreciated. Thanks...

It just would be sweet if I could make the most of my remote....

What are you using for a remote--an MCE remote, or a learning remote?

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom