[solved] Having major channel issues with ceton infinitv4 PCIe please help :) (1 Viewer)

cm0002

December 22, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hello,

Currently im trying to move from mythbuntu to mediaportal with my current ceton infinitv4's and the schedule direct plugin, i have it setup and can successfully open a channel through the kodi plugin on other computers, however the channels are all messed up.

Some channels are correct but won't have guide data while a duplicate channel with a slightly different name will have guide data but will error out with all cards busy or just do nothing when selected, for example cartoon network on channel 757: one entry will be listed as "Cartoon Network HD" while the one below it is listed as "757 TOONHD" that will have guide data but is untunable. other channels will have duplicates of 4 which i eventually found to be the same channel but one for each tuner and i was going through them all in the tv combinations page, but i stopped because im not sure im doing it right and could be messing them up more. Another problem for the channels that have guide data will have it but for the wrong channel, for example Life Time Movie network will have Oxygen channels guide data or vice versa.

I was thinking about purging all the channels when i realized that for scanning channels, the QAM tuning frequencies drop down box is grayed out and stuck on QAM HRC+3, and i read on the wiki that this is used for extremely rare cases or something like that, could this be the source of the problems?

Some more info:
FiOS provider east coast
Ceton infinitv4 PCIe w/ cableCARD
Windows 7 64Bit for TVserver only

Plugins: SchedulesDirect EPG client and TVServerKodi

Also a separate problem i have is that i cant get kodi on my linux systems to be able to tune any channels, errors out with unable to access share, even though i have put the correct SMB user and pass, on my windows machine i can only get it to work if a manually map the TVserver share in windows itself.

Thank you for any and all help!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome :)

Here's the problem:
    Plugins: SchedulesDirect EPG client

Getting the SD plugin to link guide data to the channels scanned in by TV Server can be a pain for people with cable (like you).

In some cases it will create incorrect guide channel + TV Server scanned channel matches, as you've seen:
    Another problem for the channels that have guide data will have it but for the wrong channel, for example Life Time Movie network will have Oxygen channels guide data or vice versa.

When it can't find a match it often creates channels with beautiful guide data that can't be tuned, as you've also seen:
    Some channels are correct but won't have guide data while a duplicate channel with a slightly different name will have guide data but will error out with all cards busy or just do nothing when selected, for example cartoon network on channel 757: one entry will be listed as "Cartoon Network HD" while the one below it is listed as "757 TOONHD" that will have guide data but is untunable. other channels will have duplicates of 4 which i eventually found to be the same channel...

Unfortunately it isn't easy to fix the links. That's the reason why I recommend people with cable pull their SD data using mc2xml and import it using TV Server's XMLTV plugin. The XMLTV plugin gives you explicit control over which guide channel is linked to each TV Server channel.
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/13_Setup_Guides/2_TV_Setup/4_TV_Guide_Setup_(EPG)/XMLTV_mc2xml

I was thinking about purging all the channels...
    In your case I would indeed recommend "purging" and starting over after disabling the SD plugin.

...when i realized that for scanning channels, the QAM tuning frequencies drop down box is grayed out and stuck on QAM HRC+3, and i read on the wiki that this is used for extremely rare cases or something like that, could this be the source of the problems?
    This is a "red herring" - not relevant for you.
    When scanning with a CableCARD tuner you should be selecting tuning mode "digital cable". That is explained in the wiki as well as in the setup guide that a lot of people use. QAM tuning frequencies are not applicable for "digital cable" scans. That's why the field is greyed out (disabled).

Hope that helps! :)

cm0002

December 22, 2015
    Home Country
    Hello and welcome :)

Here's the problem:
    Plugins: SchedulesDirect EPG client

Getting the SD plugin to link guide data to the channels scanned in by TV Server can be a pain for people with cable (like you).

In some cases it will create incorrect guide channel + TV Server scanned channel matches, as you've seen:
    Another problem for the channels that have guide data will have it but for the wrong channel, for example Life Time Movie network will have Oxygen channels guide data or vice versa.

When it can't find a match it often creates channels with beautiful guide data that can't be tuned, as you've also seen:
    Some channels are correct but won't have guide data while a duplicate channel with a slightly different name will have guide data but will error out with all cards busy or just do nothing when selected, for example cartoon network on channel 757: one entry will be listed as "Cartoon Network HD" while the one below it is listed as "757 TOONHD" that will have guide data but is untunable. other channels will have duplicates of 4 which i eventually found to be the same channel...

Unfortunately it isn't easy to fix the links. That's the reason why I recommend people with cable pull their SD data using mc2xml and import it using TV Server's XMLTV plugin. The XMLTV plugin gives you explicit control over which guide channel is linked to each TV Server channel.
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/13_Setup_Guides/2_TV_Setup/4_TV_Guide_Setup_(EPG)/XMLTV_mc2xml

I was thinking about purging all the channels...
    In your case I would indeed recommend "purging" and starting over after disabling the SD plugin.

...when i realized that for scanning channels, the QAM tuning frequencies drop down box is grayed out and stuck on QAM HRC+3, and i read on the wiki that this is used for extremely rare cases or something like that, could this be the source of the problems?
    This is a "red herring" - not relevant for you.
    When scanning with a CableCARD tuner you should be selecting tuning mode "digital cable". That is explained in the wiki as well as in the setup guide that a lot of people use. QAM tuning frequencies are not applicable for "digital cable" scans. That's why the field is greyed out (disabled).

Hope that helps! :)

Ok now it all mostly make sense, thanks :) so after i rescan the channels it picks up will be in duplicates of 4 again, should i combine them before or after i get mc2xml and xmltv going. Also is there a way to combine them en masse or is going through the list individually the only way?

EDIT:

ok so rescanning is now giving duplicates of 3 instead of 4 i was thinking one of my tuners is coming up with channels short but if i go through each tuner in the tv combination page all the lists on the left are the same but clicking on one on the left will only bring up 2 100% matching channels instead of 3 matching on the right side, or was this another result of the SD plugin?

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Ok now it all mostly make sense, thanks :)
    Good! :)

so after i rescan the channels it picks up will be in duplicates of 4 again, should i combine them before or after i get mc2xml and xmltv going. Also is there a way to combine them en masse or is going through the list individually the only way?
    To directly answer your questions: before, and no.
    However, more to the point: you shouldn't have duplicates.

Are you scanning with all 4 tuners, and did you increase the SDT/VCT timeout setting?
    If your answers are yes and no then I strongly suggest you start over and follow the scanning and mapping instructions in the guide which I previously linked. As it says it that guide:
    1. You should only need to scan with one tuner - to get the other tuners working, you link ("map") the channels.
    2. If you've scanned successfully (which usually requires an SDT/VCT timeout of at least 60 seconds) then you should have almost zero channels named like "Unknown...".
    ok so rescanning is now giving duplicates of 3 instead of 4 i was thinking one of my tuners is coming up with channels short but if i go through each tuner in the tv combination page all the lists on the left are the same but clicking on one on the left will only bring up 2 100% matching channels instead of 3 matching on the right side, or was this another result of the SD plugin?
    Possibly a result of the SD plugin... but it does sound like you have a bit of a mess there. Unless your duplicates are East and West versions or something like that (which aren't true duplicates - only one will work, depending on your subscription), it sounds like something is wrong with your process. I really do suggest you follow the guide.

cm0002

December 22, 2015
    Home Country
    Ok now it all mostly make sense, thanks :)
    Good! :)

so after i rescan the channels it picks up will be in duplicates of 4 again, should i combine them before or after i get mc2xml and xmltv going. Also is there a way to combine them en masse or is going through the list individually the only way?
    To directly answer your questions: before, and no.
    However, more to the point: you shouldn't have duplicates.

Are you scanning with all 4 tuners, and did you increase the SDT/VCT timeout setting?
    If your answers are yes and no then I strongly suggest you start over and follow the scanning and mapping instructions in the guide which I previously linked. As it says it that guide:
    1. You should only need to scan with one tuner - to get the other tuners working, you link ("map") the channels.
    2. If you've scanned successfully (which usually requires an SDT/VCT timeout of at least 60 seconds) then you should have almost zero channels named like "Unknown...".
    Possibly a result of the SD plugin... but it does sound like you have a bit of a mess there. Unless your duplicates are East and West versions or something like that (which aren't true duplicates - only one will work, depending on your subscription), it sounds like something is wrong with your process. I really do suggest you follow the guide.

I did have it set to 120 but i was scanning with all 4 tuners, so i will try again, thank you for you helpfulness!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom