Having trouble playing specific video files. (1 Viewer)

nzdreamer55

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2010
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hello everyone,

I have several .mkv files that don't play audio through media portal. VLC plays them on my set up. I can play many other videos. It seems that these files that don't play are TrueHD audio. I use the S/PDIF Fiber Optic TOSLINK to an amp which has Input Supported Sampling Frequencies: 44.1kHz & 48kHz / Support Linear PCM Bit Depths: 16-bit, 20-bit, 24-bit.

The amp has the DTS logo and digital Dolby that will light up when different videos are played.

I am running windows 7 and MP 1.7 Pre.

I only have the dolby digital and the DTS checked in LAV config for bitstreaming. I think LAV should then decode TrueHD Audio right?

Thanks
    -S

Attachments

• Media Info.JPG
      Media Info.JPG
      62.1 KB
    Last edited:

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    I found this on Internet :

THD doesn't always contain an AC3 core
    DTS-HD DOES always contain a DTS core

So, if your THD does contain an AC3 core, you can extract this natively without any transcoding.
    If your THD does NOT contain an AC3 core, you must decode the THD and re-encode to AC3 (presuming you want AC3 output, of course!)

Like THD didn't go over SPDIF and if THD didn't have AC3 Core, then you can play it.

On my side, i use MPAR (so need to disable bitstream in LAV Audio). And it should work for you :

upload_2014-4-6_9-46-12.png

nzdreamer55

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2010
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Home Country
    Yes it worked! It took a little while for me to figure it out, but got it. What settings are best for MPAR? I have a 5.1 system. Do I need to set mixing in LAV as MPAR also allows me to choose my output.

Thanks again
    -S

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    What settings are best for MPAR?
    Hi ;)

Wiki explains all settings very well:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...erer/3_MP_Audio_Renderer_(MPAR)/Configuration

Hard to suggest specific settings, since some are related to CPU power (like the Resampling settings).
    You need to select 'MediaPortal - Audio Renderer' in MP Config, as visible on the screenshot in the Wiki (link above).

Don't use the Mixing option, since your speaker setup is selectable without remixing:
    If you have your surround speakers BEHIND you, select '5.1' speaker setup, if you have them to the SIDE, select '5.1 surround'.

nzdreamer55

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2010
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Home Country
    Thanks to both of you. Homey you are right the wiki is very helpful. Thanks for helping me find it.

Can you tell me a little more about the mixing option. There is one within the LAV and there is one with in MPAR. My hope is that what ever type of file is played that it will use all of my speakers (5.1) and not just the front speakers.

I think you mean don't use the LAV mixing option but DO use the mixing option in MPAR. Is this correct?

Thank for the tip on which speaker set up to pick. My speakers are behind me so I will pick the 5.1 surround.

Thanks for the help
    -S

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Since you have a receiver between the HTPC & the TV, i would let the AMP handle all the mixing when needed.
    I have configured a 5.1 speakers setup in Windows Audio configuration and in MPAR, and disabled the bitstreaming in LAVAudio (as the above screenshot from Seb shows).
    As long as 5.1 is feeded, it will output that. When you want 2.0 stereo output, you need to change the output of your AMP to stereo.

nzdreamer55

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2010
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Home Country
    I see. I don't think I can change the output of my amp to stereo. It just outputs what ever is fed to it. It is part of a sound bar type system. I'll have to think about it and play around to see if I can tell a difference between stereo feeds and 5.1 feeds to the amp, but maybe just leave it so that I get 5.1 all the time. Not sure when I would want just stereo. Maybe for music? Does MP use the MPAR when playing music?

-S

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi, it will use BASS Engine or Wasapi :)
    On my HTPC, i have set 2.0 in windows but when audio track is 5.1 / 7.1 (7.1 is my setting on MPAR) the AMP change to correct mode.
    That mean when i have 2.0 source (stereo) i can use my Dolby Prologic mode from my AVR :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom