HD-DVD and blu-ray support? (1 Viewer)

damaster

Portal Pro
November 23, 2007
Home Country
Canada Canada
Hi All

I have a workaround that some of you might like. It will mean that you cannot access the menus. But hey do we really care about silly java menus on a disk.

Here goes:

Locate Any DVD HD. Latest if you can. Install this program. It will remove any AACS from the Bluray disks you are using.

Install either Power DVD 7.3 ultra with the either build 2911 or above (if you have a ati uvd card or an nvidia 8xx0 series card) or the latest K-LITE Codec pack.

Install Hali Media splitter (Ar) version.

Use DSMgr to make the Direct Sub DS Filters to not be used. Make sure that the Power DVD H.264 and Audio filters are set to preferred.

Go into the Mediaportal config and make sure m2ts (this workaround is for bluray by the way) is a known file type. Make sure that the Audio decoder is Power DVD. Make sure that the H.264 video decoder is Power DVD. In the DS Filters settings make sure that EVR is enabled if you are using Vista, the audio is set to six speakers and that PDVD is set to HA HD content.

Now from media portal movies load a bluray disk. Navigate to the streams folder. Select the largest m2ts file. This will be movie. Launch. Ignore the error about a decoder. Now you can watch the full Bluray movie with out having to ever leave media portal.
Great info! Any idea on a similar trick for HD-DVDs?

Thanks

MacMini

Portal Pro
May 16, 2006
I was able to play an .evo file as an experiment to store my King Kong HD-DVD on my NAS library, and it worked. So it should work just fine with HD-DVDs.

damaster

Portal Pro
November 23, 2007
Home Country
Canada Canada
I was able to play an .evo file as an experiment to store my King Kong HD-DVD on my NAS library, and it worked. So it should work just fine with HD-DVDs.
Interesting! Early adopters of XBMP/XBMC might remember that the only way to play DVDs in early releases of those media applications was to select the .ifo file in the VIDEO_TS folder of the DVD file structure. If this same approach works in MediaPortal for HD-DVDs and Blu-Ray, then I'll take that any day over having to launch a separate application, e.g. PowerDVD.

Still, I really look forward to the day that full fledged HD-DVD and Blu-Ray playback becomes possible in MediaPortal. Then MediaPortal could be my all-in-one solution for DVDs, X.264, ATSC HD, DVB-S HD, HD-DVDs, Blu-Ray, etc. Until then, I gotta keep a keyboard and mouse handy in my home theater room :(

MoPhat

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 17, 2007
    Berg
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Hi, i have written a little tool witch can emmbed some external apps like a iFrame in HTML.

This means that PowerDVD is in the App himself! :D :D :D

Its a main Class and can be a UserControl or Winform to execute.

My problem is only how to create a plugin witch handles this UserControl/Class?

Then we can make a plugin for the BD/HDDVD support :cool:

Any idea how to do this plugin, examples???

thanks
    MoPhat

Attachments

• TestForm.jpg
      TestForm.jpg
      163.8 KB

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    MoPhat - This would be great it you can succeed!
    Will controls disappear when this goes into full screen mode?
    Can you allow remote controls from MediaPortal to be passed through to your app into PowerDVD?

MoPhat

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 17, 2007
    Berg
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    controlls are not visible if powerdvd is going to fullscreen for watching the disk.
    if not fullscreen the titlebar is showing :-(

but i have no clue how to make a plugin witch serve a usercontrol (C#).

any help/sample out there?

i can make a function if powerdvd is "closed" that MP is going one step back (escape key once).

keys passing is not so easy because the app focus is then on powerdvd and not on MP.

MoPhat

MoPhat

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 17, 2007
    Berg
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    I have send misterd a personal message... now i'm waiting :)

MoPhat

zag2me

Portal Pro
    April 11, 2006
    Home Country
    England England
    You could write a program to emulate the key presses for powerdvd maybe, since power dvd is in focus these should only apply to PowerDVD?

This is how I currently control zoomplayer with my remote using a remote emulator called HIP

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom