(HD) Extenders: Your experiences/hacks (1 Viewer)

Brijn

Portal Pro
June 13, 2005
North vancouver, Canada
Hi,

Searching thru all the forums, there doesn't seem to be any support for extenders (maybe with the exception of the Hauppauge SD box).

Ideally I would have a silent, cheap device to setup in other rooms to watch the media on the MP machine.

1) I don't care about live TV
2) I do care about my movies in HD format (MKV mostly)

I'm sure many people are in the same situation. Did anyway find a smart setup to get things going?

Tx
Bas

MacMini

Portal Pro
May 16, 2006
I just ordered an AppleTV. It's cheap, well designed and quiet, and it does 720p, which is plenty HD for my 30" bedroom lcd.

I plan to hack it. There is a growing community here http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Main_Page which has done wonders bringing in features to Apple TV (see also the forum there.)

For now, I will have it access stuff on my NAS over wireless n. Will use either Sapphire (http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Sapphire#Description) or Nito TV (http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/NitoTV).

Apparently there is a hack to hook up Elgato TV to it.

But it would be great if it can be integrated as a full fledged extender for Media Portal.

trunkdog

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Any word on this subject?
    Is there any dev work in regards to viewing MP via an extender.
    I currently have several extenders and would like to put them to use.
    The Helios 3000 / 5000 are of of choice as they are 1080p.

Is this a possibility?

Does any other thread touch the subject?

Most of the threads I see drift OT pretty fast__:mad:__:mad:__:mad:

canarygsr

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2007
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    popcorn hour, HDX 1000 are both 1080p and GBPVR as the backend are something you may want to look into. There is a thread on here about it somewhere

ryan20021982

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 27, 2008
    USA
    Home Country
    You can build a pc capable of playing HD pretty cheap I have 3 setup throughout the house and they all run mediaportal getting the movies from a central server.

Rick19861911

Portal Member
    March 23, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Home Country
    You can build a pc capable of playing HD pretty cheap I have 3 setup throughout the house and they all run mediaportal getting the movies from a central server.

Do you compress the HD before you stream it, and are you doing this via a wireless network or wired? I ask because I tried streaming HD over wireless and even though I have a fast router and adaptors, It seemed to be just a little too slow to keep up with the HD.

ryan20021982

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 27, 2008
    USA
    Home Country

Do you compress the HD before you stream it, and are you doing this via a wireless network or wired? I ask because I tried streaming HD over wireless and even though I have a fast router and adaptors, It seemed to be just a little too slow to keep up with the HD.

All wired Gbit network, I can stream a few HD movies at a time without a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom