Satelite/CableTV Provider: Astra 28.2
HTPC Case: A+
Cooling: Standard
Power Supply: 650 W Supplied with case
Remote: MCE
TV: Belinea o display 24 (1920x1280)
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Hi

I'm noticing on HD channels CPU usage gradually increasing, from an initial approx 10% to as much as 30% when recording a different channel (either SD or HD) as well. It was brought to my attention by the fan speed increasing.

The initial 10% is also high when compared to WMC at approx 5%.

I think it is partially related to signal strength, as I've improved my signal and it is not as severe now.

Also when using microsoft codecs windows says media portal has stopped responding (which is what closed the debug run) with audio still running. When I use Cyberlink I start to get stuttering.

I'm using the microft loopback adapter as I don't always have an internet connection, this still does not always keep live tv playing if I lose a connection.

Also just lost labels in Guide.

:D

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi

The guide issue is probably caused by a crashed DB:

[COLLAPSE]Gentle.Common.GentleException: show columns from `schedule` ---> MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlException: Table '.\mptvdb\schedule' is marked as crashed and should be repaired
    at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlStream.OpenPacket()
    at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.NativeDriver.ReadResult(UInt64& affectedRows, Int64& lastInsertId)
    at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlDataReader.GetResultSet()
    at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlDataReader.NextResult()
    at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
    at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlCommand.ExecuteDbDataReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
    at System.Data.Common.DbCommand.System.Data.IDbCommand.ExecuteReader()
    at Gentle.Framework.SqlStatement.Execute(IDbConnection conn, IDbTransaction tr)
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at Gentle.Common.Check.FailWith(Severity severity, Error error, Exception e, String msg)
    at Gentle.Common.Check.Fail(Exception e, Error error, Object[] args)
    at Gentle.Provider.MySQL.MySQLAnalyzer.Analyze(String tableName)
    at Gentle.Framework.GentleAnalyzer.UpdateObjectMap(ObjectMap map)
    at Gentle.Framework.ObjectFactory.ConstructMap(PersistenceBroker broker, Type type)
    at Gentle.Framework.ObjectFactory.GetMap(PersistenceBroker broker, Type type)
    at Gentle.Framework.SqlBuilder..ctor(IGentleProvider provider, StatementType stmtType, Type type, LogicalOperator logicalOperator)
    at Gentle.Framework.PersistenceBroker.GetRetrieveListStatement(Type type, Key key)
    at Gentle.Framework.PersistenceBroker.RetrieveList[T](Key key, IList`1 result, IDbConnection conn, IDbTransaction tr)
    at Gentle.Framework.PersistenceBroker.RetrieveList[T](Key key, IList`1 result)
    at Gentle.Framework.Broker.RetrieveList[T](Key key, IList`1 result)
    at Gentle.Framework.Broker.RetrieveList[T]()
    at TvDatabase.Schedule.ListAll()
    at TvPlugin.TvGuideBase.OnMessage(GUIMessage message)MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlException: Table '.\mptvdb\schedule' is marked as crashed and should be repaired
    at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlStream.OpenPacket()
    at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.NativeDriver.ReadResult(UInt64& affectedRows, Int64& lastInsertId)
    at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlDataReader.GetResultSet()
    at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlDataReader.NextResult()
    at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
    at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlCommand.ExecuteDbDataReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
    at System.Data.Common.DbCommand.System.Data.IDbCommand.ExecuteReader()
    at Gentle.Framework.SqlStatement.Execute(IDbConnection conn, IDbTransaction tr)
    2011-07-02 08:32:29.643114 [Debug][MPMain(1)]: DialogWindow: TvPlugin.TVGuide init
    2011-07-02 08:32:29.647114 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: ProcessWindows exception:confused:ystem.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at TvPlugin.TvGuideBase.Process()
    at MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIWindowManager.ProcessWindows()[/COLLAPSE]

To fix it, open a command line and enter the following commands (assuming MySQL is installed in C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.1\):

CD C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.1\bin
    mysqlcheck mptvdb --auto-repair -e -u root -p

The default password is "MediaPortal" - case sensitive.

Regarding the HD issues... have you tried the Cyberlink codecs with DxVA disabled? I'm just wondering how well your onboard graphics are handling the load. Also, it would be helpful to know what processes are actually using the CPU. Task manager will tell you that.

mm

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Also when using microsoft codecs windows says media portal has stopped responding (which is what closed the debug run) with audio still running. When I use Cyberlink I start to get stuttering.

you might like to try changing resolution down to 720p, this will check if gpu is coping running MP + video, pretty sure the intel 3000 gpu is a little weak on this side :(

Nigel_K

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2007
    Bath
    Home Country
    mm thanks that sorted no labels.
    Task mgr processes running shown in image.

Image taken when recording SD and live HD with Cyberlink dxva off and stuttering.

PD surely the issue is cpu usage. As it is no where near as high in WMC without stutter @ full resolution.

Attachments

• Task mgr.jpg
      Task mgr.jpg
      182.9 KB

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Yep, but directx is not used by WMC, gpu is hammered by MP's use of directx + video, thats why I suggested above.

The 4500 intel gpu's were a great leap forward from the one you have, even some of the ATI 4xxx low end cards struggle with MP at full 1080 res, lowering to 720 has proven the gpu to be the weak point and no harm doing a quick test ;)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    mm thanks that sorted no labels.
    Excellent. :)

PD surely the issue is cpu usage. As it is no where near as high in WMC without stutter @ full resolution.
    I can't explain the CPU difference, but 30% CPU is nothing to be concerned about. I have an older Core2 e6600 2.4 GHz. It can require 50% or more when viewing 1080i without DxVA... but even at that activity level there is no stuttering.

There are a few things that I'd be looking at:
    1. Audio codec - MS's audio codec doesn't support AC3 outside MC due to licensing restrictions. I'd recommend AC3Filter or FFDShow audio. Other people also seem to like the LAV audio codec.
    2. GPU load, CPU/GPU turbo boosting - PD's suggestion is a good one I think. Getting the balance between CPU and GPU load right so that you get excellent video quality with minimal CPU load may be an art (no personal experience with sandy bridge).
    3. Mismatched frame/refresh rates - content frame rates should match the video output frame rate, and that in turn should match the display refresh rate.

In other circumstances I might also be mentioning HDD speed and system temperatures, however I'm inclined to say they're not a problem here since MC handles the load fine.

A bit of a puzzler...

mm

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Ray - the 2500K is one of the current 'Sandy Bridge' CPUs with the faster HD3000 GPU - these are a step-up in performance from the X4500HD GPUs (more execution units and higher clock rates).

Tony

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Ray - the 2500K is one of the current 'Sandy Bridge' CPUs with the faster HD3000 GPU - these are a step-up in performance from the X4500HD

Did'nt know that, was thinking of older stuff, ta for pointing out.

wonkyd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2007
    Home Country
    MediaPortal Version: 1.2.0_B
    MediaPortal Skin: Default Wide
    Windows Version: Win7 Ultimate 64
    CPU Type: Intel 2500K 3.3
    HDD: 2 x Samsung 1T
    Memory: 4GB DDR3 1333
    Motherboard: Asrock Z68 Pro3-M
    Video Card: Intel HD3000 (onboard)
    Video Card Driver: 8.15.10.2361
    Sound Card: Intel HDMI
    Sound Card AC3:
    Sound Card Driver:
    1. TV Card: Floppy DTV-S2
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-S/S2
    1. TV Card Driver: 5.0.6326.3001
    2. TV Card: Floppy DTV-S2
    2. TV Card Type: DVB-T X2, DVB-S X2 not in hybrid mode
    2. TV Card Driver: 5.0.6326.3001
    3. TV Card: BGT 3540
    3. TV Card Type: DVB-S/S2
    3. TV Card Driver: 6.0.0.49
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: Microsoft or Cyberlink PDVD 10
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: Microsoft or Cyberlink PDVD 10
    h.264 Video Codec: Microsoft or Cyberlink PDVD 10
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: Astra 28.2
    HTPC Case: A+
    Cooling: Standard
    Power Supply: 650 W Supplied with case
    Remote: MCE
    TV: Belinea o display 24 (1920x1280)
    TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Hi

I'm noticing on HD channels CPU usage gradually increasing, from an initial approx 10% to as much as 30% when recording a different channel (either SD or HD) as well. It was brought to my attention by the fan speed increasing.

The initial 10% is also high when compared to WMC at approx 5%.

I think it is partially related to signal strength, as I've improved my signal and it is not as severe now.

I'm using the microft loopback adapter as I don't always have an internet connection, this still does not always keep live tv playing if I lose a connection.

Also just lost labels in Guide.

:D

Try installing https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/codecs-331/saf-v6-00-based-lavf-95635/ and set your MPEG2 and H.264 codecs to Microsofts DTV Codec then set the audio as LAV and see if that helps. That combo has worked well for me on many different systems.

Not sure if you have a different underlying issue if the MS codec crashes MP. Have you installed the MS C++ 2005/2008/2010 x86 (even on 64bit windows) & x64 redists?

The CPU usage as said before may just be down to the additional overhead of the MP interface...

Nigel_K

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2007
    Bath
    Home Country
    PD I have tried reducing resolution and it is better. However I dont think this is really the answer.

I will try the other suggestions, again though I'm not convinced.

I think there is an issue with HD, as the cpu usage increases gradually over a period of time, approx 1 hour. I didn't have the problem with 1.13 although platform has been upgraded. There is also another post with a similar issue with memory usage increasing.

While posting I have WMC running BBC One HD, cpu usage is 5 to 7%, how does it do it?

Thanks for the help, will report back as I try suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom