HD HomeRun - Moving from WMC (1 Viewer)

Michael Adkins

April 14, 2017
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
-----Backstory-----
I've been using WMC for years, but earlier this week it may have pooped the bed for good. I have been evaluating replacements and this is probably the last free option I have left (though, if I can get it working I would love to donate).

-----Actual Problem-----
I tried MP2 stable... some things weren't working. Modern Kodi had an issue using my slightly older HD HomeRun box, so I tried MP1. It didn't immediately fix things, so I figured it was best to put my efforts into the latest and greatest and installed MP 2.1 Pre2.
I can set up my tuners fine in the config program and preview the channels with audio, however when I open MP2, click on TV, then click on a channel I get a loading wheel and then nothing. There is no guide data either, but that is probably another issue.

-----Other Info (Hopefully pertinent)-----
HDHomeRun DUAL
Model: HDHR3-US
Firmware: 20161117

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

MediaPortal2 Splash screen shows Version 2.1

I saw this in a dialog box earlier...could be unrelated: Unhandled Exception in application: Could not find the MediaPortal.Common.Messaging.IMessageBroker Service.

I would appreciate any assistance you can give. I'm going to work on trying to figure out the guide data.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello Michael,

I looked at this but have no idea what could be the reason for the observed problem.

Since you are at the very beginning, I would propose to consider starting from scratch, i.e. uninstalling both MP1 and MP2, deleting the C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPOrtal directory and start again. You can also rename this directory instead deleting, which preserves your existing data. Then reboot and try reinstalling.

Michael Adkins

April 14, 2017
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Some progress... Still no guide data, but I can get live tv in MP2. It's still pretty sketchy, though. Changing channels can take up to 30 seconds and eventually all channels will come up black.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi, the forum software has now killed my reply three times in a row :mad:

Please change logging level to DEBUG. See Wiki for an explanation how to do this. Then reproduce the problem, collect logs an upload the zip here.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Still no guide data.
    MediaPortal (or any other similar software) is not WMC, which delivered EPG free of charge with Microsoft paying for this service. We don't have the means and therefore you need to get your own data, either by getting a paid subscription of a service such as SchedulesDirect or considering free alternatives like the ionternal development EPG Buddy.

A US testing version is under development. Checkout this thread: EPG-Buddy a new EPG Tool with easy usage. More discussion from our tester @breese is happening here: EPG-Buddy ATSC USA Testing

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for the help
    You are welcome.

However, log level is still INFO ;). Anyway, the logs show no MediaPortal issues but indicate signal strength problems: You are trying to tune channel(s) that have no signal. With standard setiings MediaPortal will try all available tuners and try to tune on each of them during 20 seconds. Depending on how many tuners the HDHomeRun is having, you might be off for quite some time. So with say four tuners the attempt to tune such a channel will result in 4 x 20 seconds during which the screen wil be black before you 'll get a message that tuning is not possible.

In a nutshell:
    • Verify your channels
    • Remove/delete all channels that you can't tune - the better option is to add the desired/proven channels to a separate channel group and work with this group only
    • Reduce the timeout values on the "General" page to lower values
    • Reduce the timeout for "Wait for unscrambled signal" on the "Timeshifting" page to some lower value
    • Set "Maximum free cards to try" to 1 on the "Timeshifting" page (this assumes that all channels are mapped to all tuners)

gilesp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 13, 2016
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I don't know where you are, but in some (most?) countries, an EPG is broadcast through the EIT tables in the transport stream. I can get EPG data reliably with WMC this way using an HDHomeRun (and also other tuners). The MP2 server also gets it, but it takes a bit longer (it speeds up if you visit all the channels). Make sure you set the HDHomeRun to MediaPortal mode (not WMC) - it doesn't seem to bother WMC which mode you use.
    EDIT: I'm in Australia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom