HD TV codec to allow PS3 to play audio (1 Viewer)

svimes

July 28, 2012
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I have got a blackgold tuner and have recorded HD TV before and played it through my PS3 with no issue. For a recent recording I have found that the PS3 plays the video but no audipo. Also MP had no audio. I have downloaded LAV Audio codecs and I now have sound on HDTV in MP. PS3 still cannot find audio.

SD TV is fine - PS3 plays audio and video.
VLC plays video and audio ok for HD and SD TV
Any help here please?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    the recording uses an audio format that ps3 does not recognise. it is likely either ac3 or aac. find out the audio format in the offending file, and then google to see if ps3 has an update/hack allowing you to play the file, otherwise you need to transcode, either way the problem relates to PS3 not MP.

Last edited:

svimes

July 28, 2012
    Home Country
    Thanks. I have tried Google and not having much luck. I got to the LAV codecs and then couldn't get any further.

Mediainfo says that the are 2 audio streams, AAC/AAC, on 48.0 khz, 6 channels, AAC (LATM) (LC) and 48 / 24 khz, 1 channel, AAC (LATM) (HE-AAC / LC.
    I believe the second one is the visual commentary stream, i just need the first.

PS3 will play a BBC HD with sound an AVC video with audio stream as MPEG audio (version 1) (Layer 2), but will not play either audio or video an a MPEG-TS with the two audio streams above.

Can i get MediaPortal to record HD TV and record only 2 channel audio as MPEG audio (version 1) (Layer 2)?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    No you can't do this. TV server will only save the stream in the same format as it is broadcast, you will have to convert the recording after it has completed.

It is possible to do this automatically if you use software that allows command line conversion eg, handbrake. Then you would write your own simple script that runs handbrake on recording end, you would invoke the script using the comskip plugin, but instead of giving a path to comskip you would give a path to the script.

I did a similar thing with my thumbnail plugin (link in my sig), I'm afraid I can't help you any further as I am not interested in writing a script to do this. Good luck :D

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi
    Can i get MediaPortal to record HD TV and record only 2 channel audio as MPEG audio (version 1) (Layer 2)?
    No. MP "records" the DVB stream as it was broadcast. You can say it's a "simple" copy from Air to HD... What you got is exact the same as the TV station is sending as long as you ignore some errors in stream due the transport way...

svimes

July 28, 2012
    Home Country
    Ok thanks guys - one question - can you recommend a convertor? Any Video convertor does not have the audio either from the recording with a LAV codec. VLC plays it OK but I am not having any luck converting it.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom