HDD Proposal for 24/7 MP Server (1 Viewer)

Hotkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 18, 2007
    Dortmund
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi folks,

i would like to hear your recommendations for a new HDD for my MP Server. Im running a multi-seat environment. The MP-Server has the SSD for Timeshift, OS and MP Installation and a Seagate 1TB for recordings and movies/series.
    Since i'm having troubles with some recordings (https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...tops-working-on-hd.124787/page-4#post-1124710) im planing to replace my 1TB with a new one to eliminate this HDD as the reason.

Now firstly i thought about buying a Western Digital WD20EFRX Red 2TB, but i'm not quite sure if this is the best solution for my MP Server.
    The server has a quad Tuner, so there might be four (or even more) simultaneous recordings in theory. (Most of the time 1 or 0 as my kids are to small to watch TV ;-))

2 TB is pretty much sufficient and my budget is maxed for 150€.

I'm looking forward to your replies, thanks in advance!!

erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I stopped buying Seagate drives a while ago due to failures. Its WD Greens for me all the way now and never had a problem.

The Reds are too expensive for me and I don't think they provide enough of a benefit over the Greens for me to pay more.

I am not sure I would want the timeshifting on the same drive as my OS though. Might fill up accidentally and cause problems or just cause issues from the constant reads and writes. I'd put that on the non OS drive as well.

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    After looking at your server spec's I personally would consider a few things
    1-Do to limits on Writes to an SSD, I would move the timeshifting off of it. If you are planning to have multiple people waching seperate channels (seeing you have a quad tuner), maybe think about maxing out the Ram and creating a RamDrive.
    2-Another possibility for timeshifting is to look into a seperate SSD-Hybrid drive. Nice speed, much more write availability.
    3-I prefer multiple HD's for Movie and other media storage. Depending on the size you get and available free space, you can also back then up to each other (just remember not to back up the Back-up LOL )

Of course this is all dependant on you $$ availability

MrTechno

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 27, 2011
    London
    Home Country
    I'm on my fourth WD Green drive (1Tb, 1Tb, 2Tb, 3Tb). Only problem now is I'm out of SATA ports so the next expansion will have to take out one of the small capacity drives. (I say small, it's 8000x bigger than my first hard drive)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    My suggestion would be to temporarily use the SSD for recordings. That way you can rule out the HDD without buying a new drive.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I popped in 3 WD 250 GB AV drives for my dedicated TV server. I partitioned 50 GB on my System drive for Time Shift, so it's C:\ System = 180 GB, D:\Time Shift = 50 GB, and I've got 2 Dual HDHR tuners, so I split them up 2 tuners to each of the other drives; E:\Recorded TV 1 = tuner 1, 3; F:\Recorded TV 2 = tuner 2, 4; each in it's own folder.

Last edited:

Hotkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 18, 2007
    Dortmund
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    My suggestion would be to temporarily use the SSD for recordings. That way you can rule out the HDD without buying a new drive.

I shiftet it by purpose to another drive as i thought the timeshift will interfere with the recordings...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I shiftet it by purpose to another drive as i thought the timeshift will interfere with the recordings...
    It is not very likely for timeshift to interfere with recordings except for:
    • tuner problems
    • timeshift buffer and recordings are on different HDDs

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Its WD Greens for me all the way now and never had a problem.
    I'm on my fourth WD Green drive (1Tb, 1Tb, 2Tb, 3Tb). Only problem now is I'm out of SATA ports
    I have one 2TB Western Digital green disk in my HTPC for storage of "favourites", with the remainder of my recordings library stored on multiple 2TB Western Digital "My Book" external USB disks (these also contain green disks, and are switched off when not in use).

One of my WD external USB disks developed a fault recently, and I used the command "chkdsk /r /v" to see if I could recover any files. It took over 6 days to complete :eek:, running continuously; 29 files (all movies) were identified as having bad blocks, and 5GB of the disk was identified as being bad. I also have another 2TB "My Book" disk that I have retired for the moment, due to also developing bad blocks (although it subsequently formatted cleanly when I did a long format).

But of course this is all anecdotal; you have not heard from the millions of users of WD green disks who have had no problems. :)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    It is not very likely for timeshift to interfere with recordings except for:
    • timeshift buffer and recordings are on different HDDs
    Do you mean different partitions on the same physical disk, or different physical disks? I can understand that the former might cause problems, but the latter causing problems would be very puzzling! :confused:

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom