HDD setup solutions (1 Viewer)

wiggums

Portal Member
June 25, 2005
Sydney, Australia
After yet another complete SATA RAID0 stripe failure (due to power failure) I would like to know what other HDD setups others are using out there?
I have 2x 200G SATA (hardware RAID0) drives with a single Partition running windows XP. I thought this would be the best way to best way to maximise space for recording.
However it seems chkdsk after a power failure screws up the stripe set.... searching the net this seems to be a common occurance.
I'm now looking at getting a small 5minute UPS to avoid power issues but was wondering am I going about this the right way.
I'm not concerned too much with loosing the movie files after a system crash but rebuilding the OS is painful.
Would making a small RAID1 partition for the system drive and then making a larger RAID0 partition be a smarter solution?? This would maximise movie file space and yet make the OS partition redundant.
But please before I start my 3rd rebuild I would like some other ideas.

Bitkeeper

Portal Member
May 27, 2005
Vienna (Austria)
Home Country
Austria Austria
Well, my setup consists of actually three HDDs:
1 older 80GB HDD for the OS
2 250 GB HDDS in RAID0 for movies

One note concerning power failures: My RAID0 stripe gets not corrupted if a power failure occurs; XP forces to do a recheck (or rebuild or whatever it is called) but data neither gets corrupted nor do I loose any movie.

wiggums

Portal Member
June 25, 2005
Sydney, Australia
3 drives not an option for me due to excess heat and not enough room in case. I should have mentioned that.
Dont know why but the silicon raid controller seems to have a dislike to chkdsk - its been reported on many forums on the web.

wortelsoft

Portal Pro
May 13, 2005
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
If you just want to maximise space and don't want the performance benefits of a striped volume then you got also look at mounted drives.
With a mounted drive you can assign the space of a drive in an empty folder on you first hard drive. In that way you extend your first harddrive by the size of your second drive.

A big thing against stipping is that if you lose one drive you lose all your data.

See this ms bulletin:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307889/

wiggums

Portal Member
June 25, 2005
Sydney, Australia
Ahh but can you mount it to a non-empty folder? i.e. split a folder across 2 drives? What I am getting at I want maximum space for storage recordings. As far as I am aware you can only specify 1 location to store recordings in mediaportal.

wortelsoft

Portal Pro
May 13, 2005
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
The folder has to be empty when you mount it after it's mounted you can set mediaportal to use that folder as it's recording folder. The space availlable in that folder will be the space on your first drive + space on your second drive.

so effectively the folder is split across the drives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom