HDHomerun dual not appearing as tuner (1 Viewer)

wakkawakka

Portal Member
June 28, 2013
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi,

New to MediaPortal software, please be gentle.

So, I have a HDHomerun dual running successfully. I've installed the HDHomerun software on a few PCs (all running Windows 8 x64 enterprise) around the house and can stream channels through VLC. My setup with MediaPortal was going to be TVserver installed on the PC acting as server, and the TVclient on all the other PCs. However when running TVserver configuration on the server, the only tuners available are:

MediaPortal IPTV Source Filter
RadioWebStream Card (builtin)

I am running MediaPortal v1.4. I read somewhere about changing the HDHomerun software "Main Application" to be MediaPortal, with "Preview Application" set to HDHomerun quickview, but this did not make the tuner appear.

Thanks!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome wakkawakka :)

TV Server only detects new tuners on startup, so if you installed the HDHR software after installing MP the tuners would not have been detected.
    Simple solution:
    1. Open TV Server configuration.
    2. Go to the "manual control" section.
    3. Click "stop service"... then "start service".

Hopefully the tuners are showing now?

mm

wakkawakka

Portal Member
    June 28, 2013
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Still no luck.

I checked the HDHomerun setup (program in start menu) and reapplied settings. Does the HDHomerun software have to be running in the background? I'm not sure how it works. I can open a web browser to the IP of the HDHomerun fine, how does MediaPortal pick up the HDHomerun? Via TCP/UDP port? I'm not using any firewall or antivirus, just the in-built windows one. I believe there is an option in the MediaPortal setup to allow MediaPortal through windows firewall, and that was left default/ticked.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Does the HDHomerun software have to be running in the background?
    Nope.

I can open a web browser to the IP of the HDHomerun fine, how does MediaPortal pick up the HDHomerun? Via TCP/UDP port?
    Good question.
    The HDHR driver has a Microsoft BDA wrapper. Essentially that means the HDHR looks just like any other tuner card or USB stick connected directly to your computer. The wrapper translates to/from TCP/UDP traffic on the network.

I'm not using any firewall or antivirus, just the in-built windows one. I believe there is an option in the MediaPortal setup to allow MediaPortal through windows firewall, and that was left default/ticked.
    It would be worth temporarily disabling the firewall.
    Also, what version of Windows have you installed the TV Server onto?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    FYI for those that find this thread in the future...
    wkkawakka's HDHR install somehow got screwed up. The BDA filters were not registered properly. We fixed it by using the "repair" button on the HDHR Setup tool advanced tab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom