HDHomeRun only works intermittently with MediaPortal 1.6.0? (1 Viewer)

RedPenguin

Portal Member
February 1, 2009
Tried your file a few times but for some reason it wants to keep expericing the same issue.

Though I tried some more testing and you definitely appear to be on the right issue.

It always works if I try a completely different physical freq but never works if I try the same physical freq.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hmmm, are you 100% sure the file replaced properly?

I'm attaching a rebuilt version. No changes, just rebuilt in case I picked up the wrong file. If this file still doesn't work please post fresh log files.

Thanks for your patience. :)
    mm

Attachments

• TVLibrary[MP1.6_force_retune].zip
      202.6 KB

RedPenguin

Portal Member
    February 1, 2009
    Hmmm, are you 100% sure the file replaced properly?

I'm attaching a rebuilt version. No changes, just rebuilt in case I picked up the wrong file. If this file still doesn't work please post fresh log files.

Thanks for your patience. :)
    mm

np.

For some reason, your file lets you do one channel, then open up another (which I couldn't do with the original file), like 84.8 then 84.11 but then when you want to do it a third time to another subchannel it says, no signal.

I thought it was maybe trying to do the tune on tuner0 and tuner1 (since we tried mapping to both tuners) but the HDHomeRun only shows tuner0 in use during testing.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Well, that is even stranger! It looks like the patch is doing what it is intended to do... but the problem is still occurring. :confused:
    To me it does look like tuner 2 is tried, and that is why the second tune attempt works. However TV Server is now submitting tune requests in all cases. If you look at the TVService.log file you'll see (for example):
    [2014-01-25 23:06:35,132] [Log ] [14 ] [INFO ] - atsc:using new channel tuning settings
    [2014-01-25 23:06:35,132] [Log ] [14 ] [INFO ] - dvb:confused:ubmiting tunerequest Channel:Unknown 84-8 subChannel:-1
    [2014-01-25 23:06:35,133] [Log ] [14 ] [INFO ] - dvb:Getting new subchannel
    [2014-01-25 23:06:35,133] [Log ] [14 ] [INFO ] - dvb:GetNewSubChannel:0 #0
    [2014-01-25 23:06:35,134] [Log ] [14 ] [INFO ] - TvDvbChannel ctor new subchIndex:0
    [2014-01-25 23:06:35,135] [Log ] [14 ] [INFO ] - card: AddTuneEvent card: 6 / subch: 0
    [2014-01-25 23:06:35,135] [Log ] [14 ] [INFO ] - dvb:confused:ubmit tunerequest size:1 new:0
    [2014-01-25 23:06:35,135] [Log ] [14 ] [INFO ] - subch:0 OnBeforeTune
    [2014-01-25 23:06:35,136] [Log ] [14 ] [INFO ] - dvb:confused:ubmit tunerequest calling put_TuneRequest
    [2014-01-25 23:06:35,136] [Log ] [14 ] [INFO ] - dvb:confused:ubmit tunerequest done calling put_TuneRequest

Note the difference from the previous log excerpt I posted - "using new channel tuning settings" and "calling put_TuneRequest".

Are you running the latest HDHR drivers?
    If not, please update and try to reproduce again.
    If so (or you update and the problem still occurs), please could you report this problem to Silicondust and reference this thread. I'll be happy to answer any questions they may have.

mm

RedPenguin

Portal Member
    February 1, 2009
    This is what SilicionDust has stated to me after I ran HDHomeRun with sending diagnostics to them while MediaPortal attempts to use it after tuning to 3 channels on 84.

"What we see in the HDHomeRun logs is that the pins go inactive, which releases the tuner. Then, it looks like MP brings it active again, reconnects the graph, but never sends a tune request."

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again RedPenguin

This is what SilicionDust has stated to me after I ran HDHomeRun with sending diagnostics to them while MediaPortal attempts to use it after tuning to 3 channels on 84.

"What we see in the HDHomeRun logs is that the pins go inactive, which releases the tuner. Then, it looks like MP brings it active again, reconnects the graph, but never sends a tune request."
    I am 1000% confident we are sending a tune request. The only way that tune request could not be applied is if:
    1. The MS BDA framework is throwing it away.
    2. The HDHR driver is ignoring it.
    If Silicondust say they're not receiving the request (I'm not able to verify this) then that only leaves the first possibility. The only thing I can suggest that might have any impact there is to try the ATSC network provider. Refer to "preferred network provider":
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...nfiguration/02_TV_Servers#Edit_Tuner_Settings

BTW, do you have OTA ATSC TV as well as clear QAM? If so, does this problem also occur with OTA?

mm

RedPenguin

Portal Member
    February 1, 2009
    If Silicondust say they're not receiving the request (I'm not able to verify this) then that only leaves the first possibility. The only thing I can suggest that might have any impact there is to try the ATSC network provider. Refer to "preferred network provider":
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...nfiguration/02_TV_Servers#Edit_Tuner_Settings

That was totally it. I only have "Generic" and "ATSC" listed as possible choices and with "ASTC" vs "Generic" (was set to this), I can not seem to reproduce the error anymore. :) :) :)

Tried it with various subchannels of each physical channel and no problems.

BTW, do you have OTA ATSC TV as well as clear QAM? If so, does this problem also occur with OTA?
    I do have OTA ATSC which it doesn't appear to have the same issue but I only can get 1 physical channel (34) with 2 channels on it, so not much to test.

You guys gotta change your motto to "MediaPortal PVR software with great support!" :)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    That was totally it. I only have "Generic" and "ATSC" listed as possible choices and with "ASTC" vs "Generic" (was set to this), I can not seem to reproduce the error anymore. :) :) :)

Tried it with various subchannels of each physical channel and no problems.
    That's excellent news. :)
    Just out of interest: is the patch required to make that work, or does the base version of MP/TV Server work fine by itself?
    Also: did this solve the problem for your friend with the PRIME as well?

I do have OTA ATSC which it doesn't appear to have the same issue but I only can get 1 physical channel (34) with 2 channels on it, so not much to test.
    Okay. 1 channel would probably be enough to test.
    I ask because we have had similar reports in the past for the HDHR, but related to scanning. Basically people would scan but never find any channels. It would be great to finally have a clear answer about what conditions the problem occurs in.

You guys gotta change your motto to "MediaPortal PVR software with great support!" :)
    Awww, shucks - you're too kind! :)
    Thanks also to you for your patience and persistence. :)

RedPenguin

Portal Member
    February 1, 2009
    It works without the replacement file.

It also fixes my buddy's PRIME w/o replacing the file.

Also my buddy's PRIME many times before we selected ATSC would not always find channels or get randomly stuck in the middle of scanning.

Possibly Generic and the HDHR just don't get along.

Also I figured that I would to to the bottom of this out no matter what so that my buddy and I didn't just buy hardware to "look at the pretty lights" LoL

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom