HDHomerun Prime Installation Confusion - ATSC or DVB? (1 Viewer)

ecologio

April 25, 2021
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
MP looks like an attractive replacement for WMC, but unlike Kodi (which I just tried), I'm having a hard time getting my 3-tuner HDHomerun Prime setup in the server config. MP identifies the HDHomeRun Prime as an ATSC source. The Prime is a dedicated cable TV device with no ATSC tuner. It uses a Cablecard and includes 3 tuners. The three tuners show up in the configuration but they are identified as "ATSC - HD Homerun Prime Tuner XXXX etc." I looked at the online instructions and they don't seem to explain why an HDHomerun Prime would be detected as an ATSC device.

Does anyone with an HDHomerun Prime have any tips on getting it set up correctly. I don't know whether it is a CAM or an IPTV card. This is not terminology I've run across in setting it up with Kodi.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm having a hard time getting my 3-tuner HDHomerun Prime setup in the server config.
    I don't have any experience of your type of tuner, so the following suggestions may not be of any help:

(1) There is a page in the MP Wiki that describes ATSC setup and also mentions CableCard tuners. If you have not already read that page, I suggest reading it to see if it provides any help. It is this page.

(2) I have a vague recollection that Silicon Dust network tuners have their own setup application, and that within that application there is a specific setting for "MediaPortal". So you should check to see if that setting exists, and enable it if it does.

(3) If you received premium content using WMC with your CableCard tuner, be aware that MediaPortal cannot handle such content. The channels are encrypted, and MediaPortal cannot decrypt them. However, MP should be able to handle non-encrypted content.

(4) From reading elsewhere, it seems that a number of cable TV providers in the USA encrypt all or most of their content, even the non-premium channels. If this is your situation, your only choice for an HTPC is to continue using WMC, as it is the only mediacenter software that can handle encrypted CableCard content.

(5) As I understand it, Kodi does not have its own "TV Server" to handle reception and recording of TV. If you set up your tuners successfully, you must be using some other software for the TV part. If that works satisfactorily, it may be simpler to stay with that, rather than trying to get MP to work. Unfortunately, MP no longer has a TV expert to help with problems relating to TV setup.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

ecologio

April 25, 2021
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks. I'll be working through your response and experimenting some more. Will let you know what I find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom