HDMI connection is sometimes breaking (1 Viewer)

piernik

Portal Pro
October 22, 2008
Hi,

I have a problem with HDMI connection.
I've recently changed HDMI cable (computer -> LCD-TV). I bought HDMI which is able to transfer BluRay 3D signal - it's rather good quality.

I can manage to connect computer with TV - everything is working, but sometime it breaks connection and starts to blink - blue screen (no connection) and then mediaportal (for a part of a second).

It often happens after film ends and go back to mediaportal screen, but not always - today it heppened during movie.

When I change refresh rate it works againg well.

What it could be?
I suppose HDMI cable is ok since I have picture for a whole movie...

Please help

slarti

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 26, 2009
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Was the picture ok with the old cable? If yes, I can't think of anything other to blame than the new cable.

I once bought a "high-end" 10m HDMI-cable to put between my receiver and projector with guarantees from the seller that "if this won't work with 1080p/60, nothing will". You probably guess that it didn't work. Neither did any of the cables the seller gave me from the same batch. I ended up buying a cheap one for a fraction of the cost and it works without any problems...:rolleyes:

piernik

Portal Pro
    October 22, 2008
    Is it did work with old cable.
    But it does work, but sometimes breaks connection :/ Could this be cable?

slarti

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 26, 2009
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Yes, it could be the cable. If it worked before and nothing else but the cable changed, it probably is the cable. Maybe the bitrate grows too high at some point? Poor connection? Something to do with Audio return channel?

Basically it's almost impossible to know for sure. Maybe test the cable with some other high bitrate source first?

piernik

Portal Pro
    October 22, 2008
    It almost hapens evertime I finish film and go back to Mediaportal - but only after a min. 30 min playback. I don't suppose it has something with bitrate...
    I turned off "AMD External Event Utility" maybe it would help..

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I would also think cable at fault, what was the original connection, ie dvi > hdmi, is it possible to use cable on someone elses equiptment to test.

Biggest problem I have had with high end cables is chunky connector, being to big to fit in straight to the pc or tv connection and hitting the side of the cabinet :(

sjevtic

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I have a problem with HDMI connection.
    I can manage to connect computer with TV - everything is working, but sometime it breaks connection and starts to blink - blue screen (no connection) and then mediaportal (for a part of a second).

It often happens after film ends and go back to mediaportal screen, but not always - today it heppened during movie.
    It almost hapens evertime I finish film and go back to Mediaportal - but only after a min. 30 min playback. I don't suppose it has something with bitrate...
    I turned off "AMD External Event Utility" maybe it would help..

At the lowest level, digital interfaces are physically still pretty analog and affected by factors such as switching thresholds (which may exhibit thermal dependencies and other anomalies), EMI and other issues that are complex enough they can appear and disappear seemingly like magic. There is a decent chance your link is marginal.

Curiously, are you using reduced blanking mode? Most digital displays will accept this form of signal, and the resulting clock frequency reduction could make a marginal connection stable. You can find a bit of information on it here:

http://www.playtool.com/pages/dvicompat/dvi.html

The information on reduced blanking is down the page a bit.
    I would also think cable at fault, what was the original connection, ie dvi > hdmi, is it possible to use cable on someone elses equiptment to test.

I wouldn't read too much into this. If it's really on the edge, it might work fine on other equipment and still fail on the system of interest.
    Biggest problem I have had with high end cables is chunky connector, being to big to fit in straight to the pc or tv connection and hitting the side of the cabinet :(

Right angle adapters, swivel connectors, and even short pigtails of lighter gauge cable (and maybe a signal amp if necessary) can really help with this.

Sasha

piernik

Portal Pro
    October 22, 2008
    Hi - back to the topic.
    The I resolved the problem disabling "AMD External Event Utility".

Now I installed windows 8 and problem returned. But this time I don't have "AMD External Event Utility" service? I still have the same graphic card and Installed newest catalyst

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom