TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

So I had previous posted this issue in the watch tv sub forum as I was only experiencing the issues when using TV, mm1352000 wasn't able to help and it since started happening on all kinds of media so I'm reposting here in an effort to maybe reach someone that can hopefully explain whats happening if it's not MePo that's causing it!

So my setup is Windows 7 64Bit MePo 1.5. I have a Nvidia GTX660 graphics card (which has the latest available version of nvidia drivers and I have also tried the latest beta drivers) which is connect via HDMI to a Onkyo TX-NR626 AV Receiver which inturn is connected via HDMI to my TV (the receiver is one of the latest models and I've included the link incase it helps). I use LAV codecs for everything and have all types of audio passed through. I have both viewmodeswitcher and dynamic refresh rate control enabled with default profiles. For information, my System Specs on the forum are up to date.

There appears to be two main issues, the first is when I power off the AV Receiver (put it into standby) whilst media is playing in MePo. When I power it back on, MePo has crashed. This seems to be intermitant but I seem to remember something similar in the past, maybe not specifically related to AV receivers but the loss of displays, and I thought changes where made to allow MePo to cope with it? Maybe I've dreamt that.. but I have the issue.

The second is again somewhat intermitant but appears to happen more often than not. Not sure why but it tends to happen more when starting live TV (DVB-S2) on both SD and HD channels (in I'm the UK so PAL format). It has however happened to me when starting Movies and TV shows (1080p 24hz) as well so it's not confined to a particular type of media. Also a quick test I tried bypassing the receiver and going direct to the TV seemed to fix the issues (but I could of just got lucky). So this is what I end up with on screen once the refresh rate is changes and the media begins..

IMG_2294.JPG IMG_2295.JPG IMG_2297.JPG IMG_2298.JPG
    MediaportalLogs_24_11_14__09_36.zip are the logs immediately after this happened.

It's worth noting I guess that the screen position when this occurs is not always the same as above. I have had the same effect but the screen almost was full vertically and half filled horizontally, but still with the same messed up picture effect.

Power cycling the receiver (to standby and back on) DOES correct the display issue, but some mechanism when I do that stops playback of what ever MePo is playing and when the display comes back on, I'm back at the MePo menu, so it doesn't fix my problem because as soon as I start the playback again, I get this messed up display :/ There is also issue number one that occasionally causes MePo to completely crash when power cycling the receiver also.

One thing I did notice the other day was that rather than power cycling the receiver, if I change source on the receiver (to my satellite box for example) and then back to MePo, it corrected the display issue AND did not cause MePo to stop playback.

Another thing as you can see from the screenshots I took with my camera, the display stops like that after quitting MePo on my desktop, and again rebooting my PC or cycling the receiver is the only thing that seems to solve the issue - so kind of points to the link to the receiver... BUT, I can not make this display problem occur no matter what I do in windows. I've tried opening all kinds of files in MPC, WMP etc. and the display copes fine so I'm guessing it must be something to do with MePo changing the output format of the display when it's starting the media.

The second log file (MediaPortalLog_24_11_13__10_00.zip) I'm pretty sure is what I captured after power cycling the AV Receiver and MePo couldn't recover at all and crashed.

If anyone could provide any advice I'd really really appreciate it. Even if this is not a MePo issue and maybe there are Windows tweaks or even hardware changes I could make (move to AMD graphics?) that would get rid of the problem I'd like to hear! Thanks! Batfink.. and Merry Christmas.

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    Bit of a shameless bump because I'd really like to get to the bottom of this - I get that this has likely been introduced by a new AV Receiver in my setup, but I'd of thought something non-standard would be freaking it out as all other input sources I can throw at it don't cause any issues!

Some ideas on what to mess around with would be good.. Could this be a NVidia issue?

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    So I am still suffering with this, but I can now confirm its not just MePo for what it's worth. Started doing it today when I launched Fifa 13 on my PC. That made me start trying to find out what the actual trigger is and it turns out I can reproduce this by simply changing the refresh rate manually. About 50% of the time when changing between 50 and 60hz it goes crazy. Guess I'm going to have to bug Onkyo!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Have you tried using a different HDMI input? I recall reading somewhere that it made a difference on somebody's receiver. Don't recall the brand.

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    I thought I had and a different cable but not sure if I've dreampt it. Will be doing that today as I'm sure thats what Onkyo will ask first off. I'm also tempted to pull out the GTX660 and put the old GT430 in to rule out the graphics card.

EDIT: For completions sake, here are the outputs depending on refresh rate. It is consistant that when it freaks out with a switch to 50hz I get this:
    IMG_2298.JPG

But when it freaks out with a switch to 60hz I get this:
    IMG_2427.JPG

I can't make it do it with any other refresh rate during my tests.

Last edited:

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    On the Onkyo? I did when I first got it, although that was like 4 weeks ago now. Will have another look!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom