HDMI for video; stereo out jack for sound ? (1 Viewer)

bsunders

Portal Member
January 5, 2010
Sydney
Home Country
Hi,

Have spent a few days reading up on this.
I have a Nvidia GT210 card with dvi and HDMI outputs. My Sony Bravia TV has VGA + stereo jack input AND HDMI input.
Before I bought the card, I ran VGA from PC to TV and stereo to stereo, which meant I could change volume and get decent res.

With the new card, I already had HDMI cable so I connected the PC to the TV via HDMI-HDMI. Picture is great, and audio comes through.

The issue is that the VOLUME IS FIXED to the PC (and hence to MP) - I can only change via the TV remote. This may seem trivial - but I hate to have to carry two remotes where ever I go to watch.

According to Mr Google et al. the TV reports to the PC that the audio is being handled (by the TV via HDMI) and so PC sound control is disabled - AND the jack to jack no longer works - and this is expected behaviour.

NVIDIA gfx card control pannel has a "disable audio" setting in the HDMI settings, but when I do this, the jack to jack does not work - despite me setting default sound device to be Realtek (stereo jack).

QUESTION TIME
===============
Is there a way to disable audio of the HDMI connection and get the PC to use jacks?

I suppose I could go and buy a DVI to VGA cable ($$) and then use the jack to jack for sound.
Or is there another way?

regards

Ben

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I suppose I could go and buy a DVI to VGA cable ($$) and then use the jack to jack for sound.
    Or is there another way?

I'm pretty sure that it is possible to disable sound through HDMI in Start/Control Panel/Hardware and sound/Sound/Manage Audio
    Device/Playback Tab (look for HDMI).

I would think that (if you cannot get anything else to work) a HDMI - > DVI converter is what you would want. You don't wanna go VGA again :)

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Nvidia HDMI outputs can set to send audio or not...choose not!

then run ur audio jack to ur tv...u will be able to control audio that way

henning

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2008
    Ingolstadt
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    ...and if it's not possible to disable it via software, disable the hardware in the control panel. You hopefully will find a hardware called something like "nvidia high definition audio output". If you disable it, it won't be used.

Regs

henning

bsunders

Portal Member
    January 5, 2010
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Hi guys,

thanks for you answers - I have fixed it now - I was being rather dumb.:oops:

Having HDMI audio enabled via the NVIDIA driver DOES prevent PC volume control - but the NVIDIA driver DOES allow you to disable audio - thus re-enabling the analogue sound device and enabling volume control.

But I had tried disabling the HDMI audio before and the analogue sound had not worked (using jack to jack)- well the reason was that the stereo jack input to the TV was in the wrong input - it was paired with the VGA input for the "PC" connection. So thats why the sound appeared to not be working from the jack. Looking at the back of the TV , the "HDMI" input does allow separate audio inputs (the normal red/white audio ones) - so the solution is to disable HDMI audio via the NVIDIA driver and use a stereo Jack to Audio IN.

Sorry about that - at least I have learned a few things.

Kind regards

Ben

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom