HDTV Stuttering (Only TV, and no problems in XBMC PVR) (1 Viewer)

Revolty

Portal Member
September 13, 2010
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
MediaPortal Version: 1.2.3
Windows Version: Windows 7 x86
CPU Type: Atom x2
HDD: SSD
Memory: 2gb
Video Card: Ati Radeon 3200 HD
Video Card Driver: Catalyst 11.3
1. TV Card: TBS 5880
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver: 1.04 (nov 19)
MPEG2 Video Codec: FFDSHOW
MPEG2 Audio Codec: FFDSHOW
h.264 Video Codec: FFDSHOW
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Boxer (Sweden)
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

So I have heavy stuttering watching HDTV channels, SD works fine. 1080p movies works fine.
I only get 24fps, but in windowed mode with half screensize i get 50fps. I allso get 50fps by running 16bit color fullscreen. CPU usage is to high, above 60 for HD and above 30 for SD.

I don't think it's a driver issue (tested alot..) nor codecs (allso tested alot, LAV gave 30% cpu but still bellow 25fps). XBMC can play HD channels with 50fps and 15% cpu out of the box, REALLY SMOOTH. So this must be a problem with TV engine/playback in MP?

oh I use dynamic refresh rate.. Suggestions?

Last edited:

Revolty

Portal Member
September 13, 2010
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Yep, allso did this for LAV codec. I used an tool (don't remeber the name atm..) to ensure it was used by FFDShow and it was. But usin LAV it says DXVA is available but it allways says inactive.. wierd. Tho using LAV my CPU load was bellow 40 but it still couldn't do more then 25fps. Im not sure what codec XBMC using, but the only codec I have installed right now is FFDShow.

Isn't it wierd tho that MP can play HD movies but not HD tv using the same codec?

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Isn't it wierd tho that MP can play HD movies but not HD tv using the same codec?
    HD movies are 1080p whereas HD TV is 1080i. The deinterlacing can add significant load to your GPU depending on the deinterlacing algorithm chosen. As I recall, your GPU is boarderline for ability to watch 1080i.

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    I downloaded XBMC to test so as to check system cpu gpu usage with my HD4200 AMD3200 test pc. It has been many years since trying out XBMC so I was intrigued.

I DL'd the 12.0 beta first as I wanted to check live boadcast HD,; installed fine but the GUI would lock at 100% cpu usage, even without the pvr plugin, couldn't even get to play a media file.

So I tried the stable version 11.0; much better, very impressive GUI and setup, smooth GUI comparable CPU usage to MP.

Now playing back HD material was very impressive it did have lowish cpu usage BUT bring up the stats showed 1080I was being rendered as progressive.
    So 50fps was rendered at 25 fps and 60fps rendered at 30fps; this lowers the cpu usage and gpu load considerably plus there is no deinterlacing being done which lowers the load even more, so I was not suprised with the low overheads with the dramatic drop in Picture Quality compared to MP rendering video at native 50fps/60fps with deinterlacing.

You can get a similar lower cpu/gpu usage in MP when using LAV filters and explicitly setting to force 'treat as progressive', albeit not as low as XBMC but the PQ in MP is better at these settings.

Revolty

Portal Member
    September 13, 2010
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks for explaining differences (i/p & xbmc). I'll try this versions of dshowhelper and also using LAV filers with progressive technique. I can't see any quality difference to be honest, and even if I could it would be more important with smooth playback for me (can't seem to get this even in SD using the available deinterlacing methods). Is it possible to use this progressive conversion on SD playback aswell? LAV filters or not.

Edit:

I tryed using LAV/progressive and noticed that even tho LAV is selected in TV codecs (yes x264) MP using Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder, unless there is a bug in the info shown using shift+1?

Edit:

I used Win7DSFilterTweaker to disable Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder but now MP throws this error on HD channels: "Unable to play: live3-0.ts.tsbuffer". Is that codec needed for MP even tho it's not used?

Last edited:

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    The progressive setting will affect all output SD and HD to the render.

676 dll reg settings that may help, see first post in thread for 1.3 MP version only.
    If you are using 1.2.x the see other thread for details, I have not use this version so can not help i'm afraid.

Attachments

• regedit settings for dll.JPG
      regedit settings for dll.JPG
      86.4 KB
    • Force Progressive LAV.JPG
      Force Progressive LAV.JPG
      90.7 KB
    Last edited:

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    I tryed using LAV/progressive and noticed that even tho LAV is selected in TV codecs (yes x264) MP using Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder, unless there is a bug in the info shown using shift+1?

Edit:

I used Win7DSFilterTweaker to disable Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder but now MP throws this error on HD channels: "Unable to play: live3-0.ts.tsbuffer". Is that codec needed for MP even tho it's not used?

This is a bug in tsreader for 1.2..x there is a fix

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-lav-filters-and-mp-1-2-3.113325/#post-933035

Last edited:

Revolty

Portal Member
    September 13, 2010
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks.

MP now reports that LAV is used, but still no love. I get ~30fps while cpu usage shows 30% (same as SD). LAV configuration shows that DXVA2 is available, but inactive. But 100% cpu is used if i chose no hw acceleration, so it seems like it actually do use hw. I allso tryed those helper files and althought I gain about 5fps and menues seems faster I dont get more than 30fps.
    I know you said that I should get lower (25fps?) using progressive conversion, but it passes 31 so it aint correct and it allso has the same old lag, shift 1 shows that half of the frames is thrown.

By the way when i monitored xbmc codec info it shows 50fps, not sure but it seems FFDShow is used (says FF.. in the output). Here's the output form mp & xbmc:
    mp.png
    xbmc.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom