hearing music during commercials on tv (1 Viewer)

olli14

Portal Pro
December 17, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
You now it. You're watching a movie on tv and then the commercials begin. I would like to hear my favourite music songs while the commercials are shown on tv. But the problem is: when I start a music file tv is off. So I don't know when the movie goes on. Will there be a chance in the near future to have such a function?

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Technically this would not be an issue at all in MP1, the reason why it is not possible to have music and TV/videos playing at the same time is useablility.
    You would always first have to disable the playback you have active right now (i.e. music playlist/radio) manually, to start the other (movie, video).
    If you are watching TV and have Music playing as well, whyt would happen when you press the stop button?
    How would you stop TV - or Music (depending on what you want to stop in that moment)?

While I see your need to be able to have these players running at the same time, this is a very rare usecase.
    To make this work properly, without causing a lot of confusion, we would have to figure out a way of configuring that behaviour and make it obvious for the user what is going on.

MP2 would be a good startingpoint for such a feature, because there it can be done from the start.
    Yet this needs a proper specification paper to describe the entire usecase(s).

mpchen

Portal Member
    November 8, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well this is a feature i also thought of before.

As infinity.loop states it might be very confusing to use it. This is how i think it could work:

How to enable and disable the music playback
    Enabling and disabling of the music playback have to be simple. This could be reached by adding an "Enable music playback"-button to the on screen menu or define a key. During the music playback the tv playback continues muted and a symbol as well es a "Disable music playback"-button is shown. By simply hitting the "OK" button you return to normal tv playback.

What does the keys on the remote do during music playback?
    All keys still keep controlling the tv playback. For the music playback you only need the volume control. The music playback can't be influenced at this point.

Options
    In the options menu you define what is played at the playback music event. This could be a random file from an defined folder, a playlist or a radio station. If using a playlist the last played file has to be remembered. Playback should then always start with the next file in order.

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Just an idea: would it not be possible to assign a button that switches between both players and display an icon that gives statusinfo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom