Help! Computer froze, bios reset, now MP won't start. (1 Viewer)

mrceolla

Portal Pro
December 11, 2010
Hello,

The subject says it all. I don't know what happened. After the computer first froze I hit the reset button. After the computer booted MP still would not work. I then completely powered off the computer and unplugged it for a few seconds. After pressing the power button again I received some post errors about the time being reset and a checksum error. All of the bios settings got reset. Could this happen with a dead motherboard battery?

Anyway, I'm now stuck w/ MP not being able to start correctly. It will load the startup screen and then freeze on either Starting plugins or Initializing input devices.

Can anyone tell from these logs where the problem lies and how to fix it?

Much thanks to any help. I really don't want to re-install and set everything up from scratch again.

Thank you!

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    A dead motherboard battery seems possible. I can't think of any other reason why the settings would be lost, and I guess any reason would be more serious!

Motherboard batteries do last for a long time, and I can't remember the last time one failed for me. How old is your motherboard?

Edit: I can't see anything obvious in your logs.

Mark

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    If you power off again and leave for 15 minutes and power on again, does BIOS reset, if so battery is required.

Can you open MP config even.

mrceolla

Portal Pro
    December 11, 2010
    Hello all,

Thank you for the replies. Yes, I can open both configs, MP and TV.

I wanna say the mobo is 5-6 years old. It sat unused for a year or more.

Nothing obvious in the logs? That's a bummer. :-(

I did a mysqlcheck on mytvdb and see that I have some tables marked as crashed. Could this prevent MP from starting up? --auto-repair didn't fix them. What should I do?

Thanks.

Nevermind...I think I fixed it!!!

Running mysqlcheck from the MySQL bin directory with --auto-repair did actually fix the tables. The output first showd the corrupted tables but at the end it said 'Repairing tables' and I didn't see that at first. A subsequest mysqlcheck reported all healthy tables and MP started! Yay! Let's home there are no more crashes. I'll test the battery soon by shutting down for 15 min. but for now I'll be happy w/ a working system.

Thanks for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom