HELP: Conexant 878A WDM Support? (1 Viewer)

Shaft

January 13, 2007
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Just the semi-relevant stuff...

MediaPortal Version: 0.2.2.0
Windows Version: XP Home SP2
CPU Type: AMD 64
HDD: 80 GB
Memory: 1 GB
Video Card: nVidia 6800
Sound Card: AC97
1. TV Card: Sabrent Conexant Fusion 878A
1. TV Card Type: Analog
1. TV Card Driver: Conxant 5.0.0.6 WDM drivers
MPEG2 Video Codec: Good question
MPEG2 Audio Codec: Another good question

Okay, so I've had a real heck of a time so far. I pulled this card from an older machine that I no longer use, and put the card in my still-under-construction HTPC. First, I couldn't find the proper drivers for this card. (I have no idea where the CD is.) The "Sabrent" branded drivers that I downloaded (for the Philips chipset supposedly on this card) did not work, and I'm at a loss as to why. So I found some Conexant Fusion 878 WDM drivers elsewhere which seem to work fine.

Next, I loaded up DScaler to be sure that the card functioned properly. It does. Everything is fine there.

So next I go into MediaPortal Setup to add the card, and of course receive the error that no card is present/detected/whatever. So I start looking through the forums for answers (or anything relevant), and found the suggestions for adding my card to the CaptureCardDefinitions.xml file, which I've attempted to do as follows:

Code:
  <capturecard commercialname="Sabrent Conexant Fusion 878A" capturename="CxVCap, WDM Video Capture" devid="ven_109e&amp;dev_0878&amp;subsys_00000000&amp;rev_11">
    <capabilities tv="true" radio="true" mpeg2="true" mce="false" sw="false" bda="false"/>
    <tv>
      <interface cat="mux" video="" audio="" mpeg2="0"/>
      <filters>
        <filter cat="tvtuner" name="CxTuner,Temic WDM TvTuner" checkdevice="true"/>
        <filter cat="tvaudio" name="CxACap, WDM Audio Capture" checkdevice="true"/>
        <filter cat="crossbar" name="CxBar, WDM Crossbar" checkdevice="true"/>
        <filter cat="capture" name="CxVCap, WDM Video Capture" checkdevice="true"/>
        <filter cat="audcapture" name="%soundcard%" checkdevice="true"/>
        <filter cat="videncoder" name="%videoencoder%" checkdevice="false"/>
        <filter cat="audencoder" name="%audioencoder%" checkdevice="false"/>
        <filter cat="mux" name="%mpegmux%" checkdevice="false"/>
      </filters>
      <connections>
        <connection sourcefilter="tvtuner" sourcepin="0" sinkfilter="crossbar" sinkpin="%tvtuner%"/>
        <connection sourcefilter="tvtuner" sourcepin="1" sinkfilter="tvaudio" sinkpin="0"/>
        <connection sourcefilter="tvaudio" sourcepin="0" sinkfilter="crossbar" sinkpin="%audiotuner%"/>
        <connection sourcefilter="crossbar" sourcepin="0" sinkfilter="capture" sinkpin="0"/>
        <connection sourcefilter="capture" sourcepin="0" sinkfilter="videncoder" sinkpin="0"/>
        <connection sourcefilter="audcapture" sourcepin="0" sinkfilter="audencoder" sinkpin="0"/>
        <connection sourcefilter="videncoder" sourcepin="0" sinkfilter="mux" sinkpin="0"/>
        <connection sourcefilter="audencoder" sourcepin="0" sinkfilter="mux" sinkpin="1"/>
      </connections>
    </tv>
  </capturecard>

Unfortunately, this doesn't work, as the card is still not recognized in setup. I've triple checked the Device ID and component names, and am stumped.

I downloaded GraphEdit and tried to follow along with the tutorial there as well, but do not seem to have the Microsoft provider filter to even begin the process of setting up a graph. (Perhaps it's just me, but the wiki on GraphEdit seems to be pretty vague on what it is I'm supposed to be doing.)

Anyway, I'm getting bummed. I absolutely LOVE MediaPortal (even more than BeyondTV and the Vista version of MCE), but without any TV support, it seems sort of silly. :)

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Edit - I should add that the actual chip on the card IS a Conexant Fusion 878A (25878-13), and the Sabrent sticker is on the tuner casing on the card, model SBT-TVFM.

Shaft

January 13, 2007
Home Country
Ugh.

I tend to think of myself as a fairly astute guy, but this stuff has me feeling like a moron-o-tron.

After flipping through the logs, I discovered that MP setup was seeing the device ID as a "Conexant Video Capture" device, so I looked in the CaptureCardDefinitions, and sure enough, there it was, just with a different device ID. So I matched up the "capturename" accordingly, and setup actually detected the card.

However, my woes are not over. I get the "unable to create graph" message box now as soon as I add the card (this box pops up twice). I changed the filter names to the defaults that appear in the device already listed in the definitions file, but that failed to eliminate the problem.

I also realized that I didn't have the InterVideo encoders installed, so I've done that as well... That fails to correct anything, either.

So, I'm halfway there, I think, but still need a little nudge in the right direction.

Takers?

Shaft

January 13, 2007
Home Country
Ehhh.... Okay, I guess I got it working. The only thing I can figure is that something during a driver install messed up the Device ID reporting 0878 instead of 036e in the Windows registry. MP was picking up the former, which was invalid, whereas DScaler was detecting the latter directly from the hardware (and that's what tipped me off).

I removed all reference to any 878 driver and reinstalled. Setup actually let me load the card without any errors?!

So, here's the definition I'm currently using:

Code:
  <capturecard commercialname="Sabrent TV-FM Tuner" capturename="Conexant Video Capture" devid="ven_109e&amp;dev_036e&amp;subsys_00000000&amp;rev_11">
    <capabilities tv="true" radio="true" mpeg2="true" mce="false" sw="false" bda="false"/>
    <tv>
      <interface cat="mux" video="" audio="" mpeg2="0"/>
      <filters>
        <filter cat="tvtuner"     name="Conexant TVTuner" checkdevice="true"/>
        <filter cat="tvaudio"     name="Conexant TVAudio" checkdevice="true"/>
        <filter cat="crossbar"    name="Conexant Crossbar" checkdevice="true"/>
        <filter cat="capture"     name="Conexant Video Capture" checkdevice="true"/>
        <filter cat="audcapture"  name="%soundcard%"      checkdevice="true"/>
        <filter cat="videncoder"  name="%videoencoder%"   checkdevice="false"/>
        <filter cat="audencoder"  name="%audioencoder%"   checkdevice="false"/>
        <filter cat="mux"         name="%mpegmux%"        checkdevice="false"/>
      </filters>
      <connections>
        <connection sourcefilter="tvtuner"    sourcepin="0" sinkfilter="crossbar"	  sinkpin="%tvtuner%"/>
        <connection sourcefilter="tvtuner"    sourcepin="1" sinkfilter="tvaudio"	  sinkpin="0"/>
        <connection sourcefilter="tvaudio"    sourcepin="0" sinkfilter="crossbar"	  sinkpin="%audiotuner%"/>
        <connection sourcefilter="crossbar"   sourcepin="0" sinkfilter="capture"	  sinkpin="0"/>
        <connection sourcefilter="capture"    sourcepin="0" sinkfilter="videncoder"	sinkpin="0"/>
        <connection sourcefilter="audcapture" sourcepin="0" sinkfilter="audencoder"	sinkpin="0"/>
        <connection sourcefilter="videncoder" sourcepin="0" sinkfilter="mux"	      sinkpin="0"/>
        <connection sourcefilter="audencoder" sourcepin="0" sinkfilter="mux"	      sinkpin="1"/>
      </connections>
    </tv>
  </capturecard>

The image quality leaves a lot to be desired at this point, so I'll be tinkering with that, but the main thing is that it's working.

Now I can play! Huzzah!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom