[confirm] Help desperately wanted with sound problem (1 Viewer)

wjw

Portal Pro
July 13, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
MediaPortal Version: 1.1.3 Alphe
MediaPortal Skin: Blue3 Wide
Windows Version: Win 7 RC 32bit
CPU Type: Intel Core Duo E8200 2.66 Ghz
HDD: 2xWD 1Tb drives
Memory: Kingston 2x1 Gb
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H GeForce 7100
Video Card: nVidia 9400GT silent
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card:
Sound Card AC3: Optical Out
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Hauppauge Wintv HVR4000
1. TV Card Type: DVB-S
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: Cyberlink/MPC/ffdshow
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec: Cyberlink/MPC/ffdshow
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Astra 28E
HTPC Case: Antec Fusion
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Hi,

I am desperately looking for help with a sound problem that has very recently come up. I'm reporting it in here because it's 1.1.3 I'm running - but I really don't think it a 1.1.3 problem.

Until very recently everything has been running extremely well - very stable and reliable (with one or two minor issues that I know will be resolved in the next release). For some reason - and I have absolutely no idea why, which is why I'm asking or help - something has changed so that I can no longer get anything but DD encoded sound tracks to play. This is applying to both TV and recorded CDs. If the audio stream is linear pcm then the sound level output from MP client is heavily damped to the point where it is inaudible unless I increase the volume on the external amplifier to maximum (and even then it is only just audible) but this demonstrates that the output has not been muted. If the audio stream is DD encoded (2.0 or 5.1) then sound levels are at normal.

The problem has to be occurring in MP client somewhere. If I use Windows Media Player (or Media Centre) then the linear pcm tracks play fine (both CD and recorded TV). If I use the TVServer preview function on a non-DD encoded TV channel then the sound level is normal. it's only when I use MP Client that the sound on non-DD channels disappears.

As far as I can tell from the log everything is working OK - but I have attached a short logfile from this morning when I first did a restart from scratch, viewed an HD channel with DD (2.0) sound (in this case BBC1 HD) and then switched to BBC1 London (pcm encoded) and lost the sound.

I really would appreciate any ideas about where to look because I have simply run out of things to try (I've changed all the various codecs and so on. The really annoying thing is that I really don't recall making any changes to my setup - yet something has quite obviously changed because things no longer work the way they used to.

Vasilich

Portal Pro
August 30, 2009
Germany, Mayence
Home Country
Russian Federation Russian Federation
just as an idea - have you checked sound volume for mediaportal when listening pcm tracks? in Windows7 there is a volume control for every application in sound mixer, so it can be that volume control for mediaportal is set to very low value. DD-encoded sound is not affected by this volume control at all.

wjw

Portal Pro
July 13, 2008
Home Country
Vasilich,

What a brilliant idea! Somehow - and I have no idea how since I have never used it before - the system volume control for the MP application has been set down to zero.

Problem solved - many, many thanks.:D

bartmanson

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 28, 2004
    Nuremberg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi wjw,

I had exactly the same problem yesterday and could fix it with Vasilichs hint. But before I searched the forums it was very annoying. I think we should try to find out, how this can happen. I watched a recording (formula 1) without any sound problems. It reached its end and I started another recording (Tatort, a german crime thriller) and there was no sound! Really, I did not do anyhing but starting to watch the second recording. I think that MPTray could somehow be involved into this. Do you use the MPTray as well?

Best regards,
    BartManson

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    Hi bartmanson,

No, I don't. The only thing I have been able to come up with is that there were several Win7 updates at about the time I had the problem - and I just wonder. I have NEVER used or altered that setting in Windows so, to my mind, the only thing that could have affected it would be a change from the Windows side.

matis1

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2005
    Austria /Europe
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    i can verify this problem also exists in MP 1.1.1, the sound mixer sometimes sets MP to zero volume after wake up from suspend and also during a MP session.
    very annoying as it strongly affects the waf factor...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom