Help for simple PC tv connection (1 Viewer)

Veset

May 2, 2017
Home Country
Spain Spain
I had a Pinnacle card and Pinnacle Media Center for a long time and I always got my HD TDT signal from aerial connector on the card.
Recently I purchased a new DELL PC and my Pinnacle card is no more working with it. I would like to use now the Media Portal software
As I already get all TV and radio channels I imagine I do not need a tuner but a more simple interface to get the signal in my PC.
Or maybe a tuner is always necessary with Media Portal ? Can you give some advice on this hardware? ( I am not an expert , you know...)

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hello Veset.

I had a Pinnacle card and Pinnacle Media Center for a long time and I always got my HD TDT signal from aerial connector on the card.
    Recently I purchased a new DELL PC and my Pinnacle card is no more working with it. I would like to use now the Media Portal software
    As I already get all TV and radio channels I imagine I do not need a tuner but a more simple interface to get the signal in my PC.
    Or maybe a tuner is always necessary with Media Portal ? Can you give some advice on this hardware? ( I am not an expert , you know...)

How do you get the channels? If this is IPTV or some other over the network service, then you do not need the tuner, but we need to know how to advice on what is the best route.to take to get the interface side all up and working.

Cheers - JCMP

Veset

May 2, 2017
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Hello Jim

There is a communitarian antenna and the signal of each channel is distributed to the houses. I think it is a very common installation. For French tv and radio I have got a separate satellite decoder and the signal arrives next to the digital tv socket. Do I always need a tuner? Can I also receive the satellite signal on the same device?

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi.

If your talking true satellite TV, then I can't help [don't use it and have no idea how too:).

However from previous service you had, my guess is the service you are using in ground based DVB-T [in UK, this is called 'Freeview'].
    For this unless your decoder provides a TV data stream on Ethernet, you WILL need a tuner.

MOST simple USB based tuners work with MediaPortal [example - USB Freeview HD TV Tuner - August DVB-T210 - Watch Digital Television in Full HD on Laptop and Desktop Computers - External Televison Card for Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories], however I would use the signal from your antenna and to the little whip aerial provided.

Depending on need, you may want 2 channels [example - Hauppauge WinTV-dual HD - Dual, Triple Mode, TV Tuner for Freeview (DVB-T), Freeview HD (DVB-T2) and Cable (DVB-C) broadcasts: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories].

NOTE - MediaPortal can show and record MULTIPLE channels on a SINGLE receiver IF they are transmitted on the same transponder - this purely down to your provider and what channels you want to watch/record.

Setting up TV server - TV-Server Configuration - MediaPortal 1 - MediaPortal Wiki. This will walk you through the setup - note, your tuner will be under TVServer-> Hostname -> Server [where server will probably start "DVB-T......"]

Cheers - JCMP

Last edited:

Veset

May 2, 2017
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Thanks very much for complete information.
    I understand now how to get the best solution for my installation.
    Cheers :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom