Help needed! My HTPC dream is turning into a nightmare! (1 Viewer)

bcummins

Portal Member
January 12, 2012
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
MediaPortal Version: 1.2.2
MediaPortal Skin: no skin installed
Windows Version: Windows 7 Home Premium X64 SP1
CPU Type: AMD Llano A8 A3870K 3.0Ghz
HDD: Corsair Force 3 60GB
Memory: G.Skill 2x2GB 1600MHZ DDR3
Motherboard: Asrock A75M-ITX
Video Card: IGP - AMD HD6550D (integrated with the Llano APU)
Video Card Driver: Catalyst 11.12
Sound Card: Integrated Realtek ALC982 Audio
Sound Card AC3: Routing through SPDIF 5.1 configuration with DTS and DD support
Sound Card Driver: Straight from the install CD
1. TV Card: TBS 6920 PCI-e
1. TV Card Type: DVB-S2
1. TV Card Driver: v1.0.5.1
MPEG2 Video Codec: Installed through Shark 007 Codec pack, with x64 additional installer
MPEG2 Audio Codec: Installed through Shark 007 Codec pack, with x64 additional installer
h.264 Video Codec: Installed through Shark 007 Codec pack, with x64 additional installer - I have installed CoreAVC Professional as well
Satelite/CableTV Provider: I assume, through Freesat? I am only looking to pick up free satellite channels in the UK
HTPC Case: Silverstone SG06B
Cooling: Stock
Power Supply: 300W FSP (soon to be upgraded to a 450W Silverstone ITX PSU)
Remote: Speedlink SL-6399-SBK
TV: Panasonic 37" PX80B
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI, with separate SPDIF Passthrough to Logitech Z5500 system.

Hello and thank you for looking at my post.

I've just compiled my HTPC build, as outlined above. I am currently using a WDTV Live player and a Humax Freesat HD player and looking to consolidate everything into this machine. The problem is, I'm stuck at the first hurdle!

Built the machine last night, which went fine, then a fault developed with the PSU, which I will RMA for the better 450W silverstone version, but that's a side note.

I have so far installed, relevant to media: Windows 7 x64 HP, Shark 007 Codec pack with the x64 addon, CoreAVC Professional, Quickpar and Winrar, then I got started on MediaPortal.

It's my intention to set up the HTPC as a TV Server, so I can stream my Satellite to other TVs in the house (though never more than one machine at the same time).

I looked at the instructions for building a SQL 2008 server in Express, which I followed successfully. I then proceeded to the MediaPortal install. It downloaded a fair number of packages, including DX9C, and VC redists. It then took me to a screen through custom/advanced install asking me to pick my server, SQL 2005 or MySQL, with some kind of login options. I must've misread this as I cancelled it thinking, I've installed SQL manually it shouldn't be asking this. First thing I noticed that was odd, In my shortcuts in the start menu, only have an option to configure mediaportal tv server, literally nothing else. It's occurred to me I ended the install prematurely. I thought tho, whilst I have it might as well see if I can manage to scan some channels etc.
After much confusion, I got into the config stages to setup my satellite receiver. It picked up the card, but i had to manually tick "Satellite 1" left all options to default except the last one, which I looked up online and found "28.2E Astra2A/2B/2D...” is the one I wanted. I started scanning, it produced a good number of channels back, some random numbers, some actual UK Freesat channels, with the signal strength and quality all being rather high from the status bars.

I tried then looking at the channel previews under TV channels under the preview button, it produces a small window, which shows a single frame (which i know is from the channel broadcasting) and nothing else.

I haven't really taken things further in MediaPortal, having made such a mess of it, I thought I'd post here. On a whim I tried to see if I could get TV through Windows Media Centre. I had to use custom settings as it wouldn't find satellite using the express set up. I eventually got Tv, although it put out an extremely low signal strength/quality at the end, i think 1/5 which contradicts what I was getting in MP. It was watchable, but blocky, oversaturated and no match for MP. I am worried I may need some help as I'm not going to want to use the PC if it can't match the quality of the HUMAX box.

Ideally I want to use my machine as, a TV, PVR, TV server, media server. I use usenet and have accounts with NZBMatrix and Newzbin, I understand there are some tools out there that can automatically monitor usenet for my shows and movies, if anyone can advise on that as well, great, but i appreciate it's OT for MediaPortal.

Having shared my set up woes, can anyone help me get this right? I haven't taken it any further out of frustration and fear of getting into a bigger mess!

I have made most of my choices in software/hardware through guides/forums and I just need some help filling in the gaps. I am sure MP can meet my needs to playback UK Freesat/HD, H.264 media, mkv bluray rips, etc, but if you can think of anything that is going to throw up another dilemma, please don't hesitate to bring it to my attention!

Thanks and apologies for the essay.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    First of all, suggest you uninstall SQL 2008 server and MP/TV server (so you have a clean slate), and turn off Win7 Media Centre (so it doesn't interfere with MP).

Install MP again, and let it download and install MySQL as part of the installation process - when you get to the SQL login window, hit the 'Test' button to continue - it then checks it can talk to the database before continuing (and should report sucess).

Can't help with the satellite stuff - I'm Freeview only - but take a read of Quick Setup - MediaPortal Wiki etc

(and with codecs - remember MP is a 32 bit app and needs 32 bit codecs, even on a 64 bit system)

Tony

bcummins

Portal Member
    January 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Hi and thanks for the quick reply.

Can i just ask - will uninstalling SQL 2008 not install the server I've created? If not, what's the easiest way to scrub it all? Also, very newbie question, but what should I do to ensure win7 MC is completely turned off?

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    Hi bcummins,

I have given you some advice on the AVForum, but you will get far better support on this forum with the hundreds (probably thousands) of users available to hand.

To make sure that MediaPortal works instead of W7MC, you need to follow this instruction: Additional 3rd Party Checks - MediaPortal Wiki

Robbo100

bcummins

Portal Member
    January 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Hi Robbo, I thought I'd bring my replys to your thread over to the MP forum, as you've quite rightly pointed out there is going to be a far more suited user base to help with these problems.

robbo100 said:
    If you are planning on using this PC to view TV, then I would not install all these codec packs on your PC - in fact, I would uninstall them before you do much else. If you are not "in the know" about codec packs (i.e. you don't know how to configure what you need manually) then the best thing to install for MediaPortal is the SAF Codec Pack (this link shows you how to configure it within MP too). I would follow the instructions to configure the codecs in the client side (i.e. not the TV Server Config but the MediaPortal Configuration instead), before you start trying to tune your TV channels and testing them (if you don't have the codecs setup, you might not be able to see the video on the screen to prove that you have correctly tuned the TV Server using the preview window)

I have to admit on my part it's laziness that's driven me to install a pack. I've used filters, codecs and containers for years and I've somewhat broken my pattern since I've always avoided packs until I've had the unknown element, of TV viewing on the PC thrown into the mix. I am by no means going to insist I have to use a pack, so I am quite open to taking the time to install individual codecs for my configuration if you have an idea of where I can read up on what's best to use and how to configure. I will check the SAF codec pack as well. Should I also be bearing in mind there might be better codecs to take advantage of/optimise the hardware acceleration on my ATI GPU?

robbo100 said:
    So you are going to have client PCs in the other rooms in the house then (each running MediaPortal)? If the answer is "no" then using MediaPortal may not be the right software for your application.

The answer to your question is yes, I am aware I will need a PC connected to the tv set with a MediaPortal Client Install, no doubt I'll need help with this once I come to set it up!

robbo100 said:
    MediaPortal should install and configure MySQL automatically with the installation. Do you have a specific requirement for SQL 2008 express?

I will install with the MySQL option once I've scrubbed SQL 2008. I actually picked up on using 2008 from where we use SQL at work, our development manager always tells us to ensure we use the latest version of SQL for everything if the DB app supports it!

robbo100 said:
    I can't remember where this dialogue comes up during the install process, but it might be that you have not completed installing all the elements of MP if you clicked cancel. It might be worth re-running the installation again before you continue to configure it.

This could well be linked to the fact that not all of the application has been installed. I would re-install it and not cancel it at the MySQL stage. This link in the wiki should help: Deploy Tool - MediaPortal Wiki - there is a hyperlink at the bottom of each stage of the installation wiki to take you to the next stage.

I'm going to run through a fresh install with an auto build of a MySQL TV server like you and Owlsroost have advised

I'll have a crack at this tomorrow. I'd like to start out on the codecs first though, which I think is going to be important to get right, so I'd be massively grateful if you could come back with some advice so I can get on with it first thing!

Thanks!

JBravo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    No need for codec packs in Win 7, the MS DVD-DTV codecs plays almost everything out-of-the-box. LAV Filters (including a great splitter) are available via the Media Portal extension installer.

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hi there,

Mediaportal is in two parts:

TV Server
    Client

On a single seat setup, both are installed on the same HTPC.

The database (either MySQL or MS SQL) is only used by the TV Server (and not the client).

If you wish to use MS SQL you have to install it first (you should have configured a password when installing it).

Once installed, you can install Mediaportal, by doing an advanced install, selecting MS SQL, and single seat.

When it is installing, it will ask you for the database settings, chose MS SQL, make sure the hostname is right, and enter the password you used when installing MS SQL. This will allow Mediaportal to create the required database.

The rest of the install is quite straight forward.

As for satellitte settings, the only setting you have to chose is the which satellitte to use (in the UK its the one you chose), you may also wish to set "use DVB S2" if your tuner is S2.

This will then build a list of 100's of channels once done.

You cant really/always go on the signal strength/quality counters/bars.... these are dependant on how well the tuner manufacturers have written their drivers (some are complete poop!)

As for displaying the TV channels, with windows 7, you could use the builtin Codec MS DTV Codec, or a very popular choice with Mediaportal is SAF. The Shark pack is not used as much compared to the aforementioned options.

MS MediaCentre and Mediaportal dont always play together...might be a better option to disable MS Mediacentre.

J.

ps - You could try "sickbeard" for your episodes on usenet.

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    I am not a particularly great expert on CODECS and I just use SAF because it is easy.

My advice would be, install MP, but don't bother running any configuration. Then install SAF (note, if you want to get some hardware acceleration with the SAF pack, PM hoborg (the SAF author) and ask him to send you the link to unlock SAF, then run the SAF Unlock before you run the SAF install). .

Run the MP configuration (not the TV Server, the front end configuration) and then setup your directories for all your stored media etc, and then configure the codecs as per the SAF forum instructions. Basically, do the setup iaw this guide: MP Quick Setup - MediaPortal Wiki

Then run the TV Service config and do a scan just like you did before, but now the preview will work (now that the codecs are set). then follow this guide for setting up the basic TV Service functions: TV Quick Setup - MediaPortal Wiki

That should get you started, and then it is a case of customising as you go. Get the above working and you should be able to watch/record TV, watch Videos, listen to music etc.

Then you can add plugins like TV Series, Moving Pictures, Online Videos etc, and personalise with skins. The wiki is pretty good, to try there first and then come to the forum if you then get stuck.

Robbo100

bcummins

Portal Member
    January 12, 2012
    Home Country
    First of all, big thanks to all the advice in the thread. Now starting to actually get somewhere.

I now have a couple of outlining issues -

I cannot get mediaportal working correctly with my Speedlink Sl-6399-SBK meda remote. Does the software actually support this remote or do i need to buy a different one?
    I cannot get the EPG working for the satellite channels I have picked up, it's just always showing no information available. I tried some EPG plugin but it's doing nothing!

I downloaded a skin called StreamedMP which seemed to include an awful lot of plugins. No idea what I'm doing with that tho!

I am mainly after enhancements to my files in terms of cover art, organising tv and movies and getting movie info and sorting my tv shows. Have I got the correct skin pack for these features?

I also completely removed the Shark Codec pack. I have installed all the suggested codecs in the Mediaportal Wiki and picked up suggested settings.

JBravo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Regarding EPG, I would recommend the WebEPG plugin shipped with MP TV server.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom