HELP!! New Motherboard required... (1 Viewer)

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Guys,

I have now given up on my current server motherboard - it will not play nice with multicore processors.

I need to get a replacement and I hope you could offer some suggestions.

I am looking for:-

• Socket AM3+ = needs to run Phenom II x6 3.2Ghz
    • 16Gb RAM (4x4Gb of DDR3, 1600Mhz)
    • 8 x SATA ports = 8 HDD's going into this.
    • On board graphics - only needed for setting up as the server will run headless and be accessed via RDC.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Last edited:

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Well, eventually went for an Asus M5A99X EVO.

Got it all set up this morning and it is running well. Put the old HD5550 graphics card in for setup purposes.

One problem is getting the RAM to run at 1600Mhz - currently running at 1333Mhz, and setting at 1600Mhz stops the system from POST'ing and then booting up. The BIOS sees it as 1600Mhz and allows the settings to be changed, but for some reason it doesn't like it. o_O

A great performance increase too with the Phenom II x6 3.2Ghz. I have got Handbrake Batch Encoder doing some file conversions. It used to take about 50 mins to do a 1 hour, standard def .ts file to .m4v - it is now doing them in about 8 mins. The Frames Per Second conversion rate has gone from about 35fps to around 135 ish. :) (y)

Just need to get the other bits and re-cable to sat dish and aerial :rolleyes:

4Fred

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2005
    Jönköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    how many memory sticks do you have and where are they placed? in many cases memoryslots are colour coded, like two blue and two red, memory in each pair must be filled and identical in both slots.
    so if you have more than two momory sticks try using just two and pair them according to colour.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Last edited:

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Thanks Spragleknas, I have just had a read of the link. I suppose 1333Mhz will have to do :rolleyes: - I'm using the large chunk of it for timeshifting. The memory is running in "unganged" mode to allow for the dual memory controllers and it is being reported as running at 1333Mhz.

The performance is great, far quicker than the Athlon 64 x 2 I had been using for video conversion, so don;t think I was complaining.

Well, at least that is cleared up and I will not have to mess about with the MoBo. I have done tooo much messing about with Servers & clients and MP since last weekend.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom