[Help] Random playlists? (1 Viewer)

gemx

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi just begun, to use this plugin.
    So far i really like it but i have a problem, well probably i just don't understand how this works :oops:
    If you perhaps play a stream based on a certain tag:
    -> the first song starts playing and the playlist is shown
    So far so good BUT as soon as the next song from the list is played the playlist gets rebuild - i think based on the tags of this song- is that how it's supposed to work ?

I would rather prefer the playlist to stay static - is that possible?

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sorry - this is exactly the way it is supposed to work. In fact MP exposes even more functionality here than last.fm's own client (as I reverse engineered the API).

Please understand that last.fm only got the great acceptance among labels because it is still classified as radio. To keep this status they aren't allowed to offer users "on-demand-music" without paying royalities.

There are serveral ways around that though: e.g. you can build a playlist on last.fm with all songs you like to hear. Then you listen to that list and skip the tracks you don't like. This is already very close to "on-demand".

Notice: Subscribers are able to listen to their "own" radio and favorites which offers way more possibilities ;)
    Notice2: No, I don't get anything from them - I just like their service very much :D
    Notice3: If you focus a playlist entry and leave it there when the track changes then this will be played next.

mellroc

Portal Member
    January 12, 2009
    Sorry if I'm confused, but I don't think that's the issue.
    I'm fine with Last.fm autogenerating the playlist. Here's the problem:

I start Last.FM and have it play my "recommended station:
    It displays a list of 5 songs and plays the song at the top of the list. When it finishes that song, it plays the 2nd song on that list and generates a new list with that song at the top. The 3 songs on the bottom of the 5 song list are never played, as they're always new.

It used to move down the list and after it played the 5 songs, come up with 5 more.
    As it is right now, the list of 5 songs is pretty much useless as it changes before the songs get a chance to play.
    Essentially, your Note3 does not happen for me. It used to. I wish I could tell you the software version when it did, but I can't. :sorry:

I'll play with it tonight and try to get more details.
    :D

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Every track "behind" the current playing one is invalidated and cannot be played anymore.
    Of course I could restrict the plugin to do this:
    If you play e.g. track 3 remove tracks 1-3 from the list --> only track 4 & 5 would show up until track 4 starts. At track 5 the list would be rebuild.

Considering however that many people who use last.fm are off from mainstream taste and might only receive 1-3 tracks in their list it would render the plugin almost unusable for them.

kesar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2008
    Warsaw
    Home Country
    Poland Poland
    I'm happy user of your plugin, RTV. I miss one thing. Is there a possibility to predefine tags to be shown after I choose artist or music type? I would like to have 5-10 artists and 5-7 predefined music categories. I have some artists on my list, but they were totally randomly chosen from the list I played before and I can't control this list. The music tag list is always empty, so every time I want to start some music type I need to input it again. I've searched the last.fm web site - no luck.

Regards,
    kesar

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm happy user of your plugin, RTV. I miss one thing. Is there a possibility to predefine tags to be shown after I choose artist or music type? I would like to have 5-10 artists and 5-7 predefined music categories. I have some artists on my list, but they were totally randomly chosen from the list I played before and I can't control this list. The music tag list is always empty, so every time I want to start some music type I need to input it again. I've searched the last.fm web site - no luck.

Regards,
    kesar

Thank you :)

The tags, friends and artists you see in MP are directly connected to the data on Last.fm :
    - Artists: These are the "top artists" you've listened to in the past.
    - Friends: These are all people who accepted your "friends request" (usually people you know in person).
    - Tags: These are all tags which YOU did assign somewhere.

Therefore if you want e.g. 5-7 predifined "categories" like "Hard Rock" and "female vocalists" you would just browse the website of maybe "AC/DC" and "Tori Amos" and tag them there.
    Please note however that there might be a little delay until artists, friends and tags show up in mediaportal as the webservice we are using accesses cached data.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom