Help Skin the Moving Pictures GUI Importer (2 Viewers)

el_gato

Portal Pro
October 15, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
  • I would like to add some filtering functionality to the list. Most people for example will not be interested in what was successfully imported several days ago. Or may just want to see a list of stuff that needs their attention. How do you imagine yourself using the importer?
filtering options would be nice, although i probably only would use one showing what needs attention and what has been added correctly. concerning the attention needing items some kind of info about this and the amount of in the sidescrollerbar on the homescreen would be nice.

• Can those stupid numbers leading each dialog entry be removed? They look horrible and provide seemingly little function.
as its said nowadays, stupid numbers are stupid ;) i personally would love to see them gone not only for style reasons but also for the reason of a better overview in the menues. but as mbuzina stated they are kinda useful concerning faster selection, but not really if you don't know them by heart and if the skin only shows 5 of them and the rest is only shown by scrolling down to the 2 following pages of options (like in mytvseries with 15 entries for example with submenues containing even more entries...) until you see them... so maybe if the several options the contextmenus offer should/could be reduced to a minimum (with better structured submenues - some points maybe could be put to the gui settings in the future since this is slowly starting now) and there won't be the need of numbers anymore.

• Do we need column headers for the list?
to qoute you "Bear in mind not all users are pro like you. ;)", so probably headers would be useful, sth like "Actual Filename" and "Matched Title" although it should be clear, but since we still use headers for movietitles and other "obvious" stuff on other places...

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have uploaded a new alpha build. Titan skin files are included. Default and DefaultWide support is not yet included. A rough change log is below. This is an unsupported build meant to help skin designers prepare for our next release, download at your own risk. That said, all feedback is welcome. And if you put together a nice skin please share some screenshots!

Download
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
importer-1.png importer-2.png importer-3.png
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Questions:
  • How do you like the three dots?
  • Is the use of backdrops too distracting here?
  • Is merging and splitting in the GUI important? This is not currently supported and I have no idea how I would implement the user interface elegantly.
  • Why wont page down work?

Changes Since Last Alpha:
  • added filtering to importer screen
  • removed need for restarting importer when first entering gui importer screen
  • user now gets "skin does not support this feature" if the importer skin file is missing
  • added backdrop support for files that have finished import (400,401)
  • in gui importer now asks for PIN when launched if parental controls are enabled
  • added playback support to importer
  • added indicator graphic(18) that is only visible when playback is about to begin from importer (implemented as window shade in titan, but maybe just an icon somewhere would be better?)
  • added send movie to importer action in GUI context menus (can turn off from config)
  • moved scan for new movies to importer screen (removed toggle setting for this in config)
  • added "restore ignored files" action to in gui importer
  • added rescan(19) and restore ignored files(20) buttons to importer (hidden menu or something else clever?)
  • ignored files now are greyed out in GUI importer (IsPlayed text color)
  • importer now uses appropriate virtual keyboard
  • slightly reorganized matching popup for gui importer
  • added translations to importer screen
  • renamed importer icon files to something unique
  • added #MovingPictures.Importer.Menu.Label to main moving pics screen so menu item will be properly translated
  • added #MovingPictures.Importer.All.Count skin property for importer
  • changed third field for list items in the gui importer to path+filename (will be very long)
  • added support for all of the above in titan skin files
  • added slideout menu to importer for titan
  • added indicator dots for current position in importer
  • moved "Importer" to appropriate slot in main moving pics slideout menu
  • temporarily added titan skin files to installer

Last edited:

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Just wanted to reply to a few things not addressed by the new build.

I'd like to have an optional pop-up message that's shown when you enter Moving Pictures (or even restrict it to Moving Pictures->Latest added movies) that says "Importer needs your attention for #items, open importer now? YES/NO". Default is NO, so it can be quickly dismissed for higher WAF. This is also why it should be optional.
I'm sorry but I think a popup is a little too intrusive. I feel like popups should be reserved for things that demand immediate attention. Plenty of information is being supplied to the skin though so with some skin tweaks you could have a flashy notification with some animation to indicate that some files need attention.

So you can show the ignored files as well? Great work!
I will try to get an "Ignored Files" tab added for the next build. They are just handled a little differently than other stuff and I ran out of time this weekend.
probably headers would be useful, sth like "Actual Filename" and "Matched Title" although it should be clear, but since we still use headers for movietitles and other "obvious" stuff on other places...
I am still undecided about this, but I will add some translation strings so that skin designers can make this choice for themselves.

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Looks Good
    My 2c
    - From titan screenshots it seems like headers are not needed for those 2 columns at least
    - I like/agree with fforde's comment re: pop-up
    - I didn't find the backdrop distracting in the above screenshot
    - Three dots look fine, I'm assuming they are to show what page you are on if the #movies exceeds the length of the box
    - I don't think merging and splitting in the GUI is important, I haven't seen any split movie downloads in a long time, I think they are getting rare. If you plan on using the GUI for the intitial import, then yes you could consider adding that to the GUI, if the GUI is only ever for additional imports then I think this feature would very rarely be used (if ever)

Last edited:

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    • How do you like the three dots?
    • Is the use of backdrops too distracting here?
    1 - Which three dots? :p Too subtle IMO. It acts as a kind of tabbing, so you can make it a bit more visible. They mean something.
    2 - I wouldnt use backdrops here. If you want to give information on folder.jpg / backdrop.jpg, is something like this an idea?
    poor mockup attempt.JPG

[edit]
    Let me explain a bit more what I poorly mocked up.. ghehe.
    Is it possible to make a view (besides the ones you already show) which.
    You can scroll through in the left pane (file details)
    Upon scrolling on a file on left pane, the right window pane shows a bit more details on the matched information, like title, AKA titles, year, folder, backdrop etc ect... whatever is usefull in your opinion.

This thought just came to me when I saw the screens. I am NOT saying I want it like this. I am just floating my baloon here. If the baloon isnt giving anything extra, shoot it. :)

Last edited:

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    One question: how can you select from multiple matched movies? For me it often mismatches because of year issues (my files contain the recording date, not the original date). If there is a list of matched movies available as well (shown as pop-up on enter/click?) I would like to have more info on each of them as well (title/year/imdb_id/summary/actors/director)

I also like the idea from @edterbak.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    A bit top-of-my-head suggestion:

--------------------------------
    terminator-dvdsc-axxo.avi
    [SYBM] Terminator (1992)
    [SYMB] Teminator 2 (1997)
    [SYMB] Teminate Me (2011)
    --------------------------------
    [SYMB] = symbol
    Not connected: Symbol for not connected, ie broken chain - Android style
    Connected: symbol is replaced with connected, ie connected chain.

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    One question: how can you select from multiple matched movies? For me it often mismatches because of year issues (my files contain the recording date, not the original date). If there is a list of matched movies available as well (shown as pop-up on enter/click?) I would like to have more info on each of them as well (title/year/imdb_id/summary/actors/director)

I also like the idea from @edterbak.

I assume the icon on the right gives you information on how confident of a match the movie is, and if you want to change a movie you click enter on it which will bring up a context menu with 'approve' / 'skip' / 'change' (choose from list of close matches) / 'search' (two text boxes, one for year one for name) @fforde is this how it works?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom