Help Skin the Moving Pictures GUI Importer (1 Viewer)

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
1 - Which three dots? :p Too subtle IMO. It acts as a kind of tabbing, so you can make it a bit more visible. They mean something.

Yeah they are too subtle. I think moving them on top of the shaded background for the list might make it more visible.

One question: how can you select from multiple matched movies? For me it often mismatches because of year issues (my files contain the recording date, not the original date). If there is a list of matched movies available as well (shown as pop-up on enter/click?) I would like to have more info on each of them as well (title/year/imdb_id/summary/actors/director)

You just click an entry in the table and you get a popup of possible actions. This includes a list of movies you could match to or a search function. See the screenshots. A blue icon means a file is being processed, an orange icon means it needs user attention, and a green icon means a file has been successfully imported. Have you tried using the screen yet? I had hoped this would be self evident.

dialog1.png dialog2.png dialog3.png dialog4.png

Is it possible to make a view (besides the ones you already show) which.
You can scroll through in the left pane (file details)
Upon scrolling on a file on left pane, the right window pane shows a bit more details on the matched information, like title, AKA titles, year, folder, backdrop etc ect... whatever is usefull in your opinion.

This is not possible, there is just not any more information to display than what you see. What you are talking about would require us to download details and artwork for every possible match which we will not do. This would make the importer run intolerably slow and it would increase the bandwidth needed from websites like themoviedb.org. Sorry. I will make sure as much as possible is available to the skin though.

A bit top-of-my-head suggestion:

--------------------------------
terminator-dvdsc-axxo.avi
[SYBM] Terminator (1992)
[SYMB] Teminator 2 (1997)
[SYMB] Teminate Me (2011)
--------------------------------
[SYMB] = symbol
Not connected: Symbol for not connected, ie broken chain - Android style
Connected: symbol is replaced with connected, ie connected chain.

Are you talking about using icons for the popup matching dialog? I like this idea but it would require us to create a custom dialog and ask skin designers to do a bit more work. I think a few other things are more important than this enhancement for the next release but if someone were to put together a clean patch and corresponding skin files I would include it.

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    2 - I wouldnt use backdrops here. If you want to give information on folder.jpg / backdrop.jpg, is something like this an idea?
    View attachment 120318

[edit]
    Let me explain a bit more what I poorly mocked up.. ghehe.
    Is it possible to make a view (besides the ones you already show) which.
    You can scroll through in the left pane (file details)
    Upon scrolling on a file on left pane, the right window pane shows a bit more details on the matched information, like title, AKA titles, year, folder, backdrop etc ect... whatever is usefull in your opinion.

This thought just came to me when I saw the screens. I am NOT saying I want it like this. I am just floating my baloon here. If the baloon isnt giving anything extra, shoot it. :)
    You can easily see backdrop/cover/description etc fo approved/commited movie in several seconds if you go back to main Movpics screen. Approved movie will be there immediately ;)

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    OK. Good arguments to not want something I described. :)
    I also see now, with the shots you provided last, it is more or less covered like that already. Good enough. Balloons got SHOT down... :ROFLMAO:

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @fforde: I could not yet test it out, I was commenting on the ideas. Yes, the useage is self evident, no problem there (as I could say how to do it even without using it ;-) ).

Maybe an idea (if you can not download all info at once) would be to download only on request. What I sometimes have to do if I can not determine the right movie with the given info, I open a browser & hit IMDB twice (with a new search). Maybe you could open the browser plugin with the imdb website of the selected movie upon click/move to the right or something else?

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    When you select a movie match the importer already downloads details (because of course this is the final step in importing a movie). If this turns out to be an incorrect match though, you can just pick something different. You don't have to restart the importer or anything, just click the completed movie in the importer (now with a green icon) and select something different. This is generally very quick and stuff like this gets bumped up to the front of the importer's queued tasks. Do you think this covers the use case you're describing?

As for a web browser I think this might be a little bit too complex for an interface designed for a remote control. I think to be non-frustrating you need a keyboard and mouse for a browser and if you have these things, you could just alt-tab to Chrome.

Last edited:

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Great, can I jump to the detail description on "green" movies directly? That would make a great workflow.

In regard to the browser: I have a browser (I have to check which one, the one that shows numbers next to the links) plugin and it works fine. If you would directly open the IMDB page for the movie, I would need no button presses at all.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    Great, can I jump to the detail description on "green" movies directly? That would make a great workflow.
    I will see what I can do here. It would be easy to implement but I am not sure how MediaPortal will handle the breadcrumb trail (i.e. making the back button work as expected). I will see how it works though, good idea.

In regard to the browser: I have a browser (I have to check which one, the one that shows numbers next to the links) plugin and it works fine. If you would directly open the IMDB page for the movie, I would need no button presses at all.
    Sorry, as I said before I feel a browser is too complex for what we are trying to build here. But with the next release the IMDb ID (among other things) will be passed to the skin for movies that have completed import. So maybe you could add to your skin a button with a hyperlink property built from a partial URL and this IMDb id.

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If there is more than one movie choice and you have to load IMDB in a browser to help you choose, what is it that you see in the browser that helps you select the correct movie, If it is just the synopsis or cover image maybe this is something that could be displayed in the GUI.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    blahblah.jpg

Rough mock up, you would probably have the text larger and have it wrap around the cover so it's easier to read from the couch. The movie cover + synopsis would only be looked up when you hover over the selection in the GUI so as to reduce the # of lookups.

or like this

Untitled-1.jpg

@fforde - thoughts?

Last edited:

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Custom dialog - waste of time I think