Help starting out with a Git clone

Discussion in 'General Development (no feature request here!)' started by ears, July 4, 2014.

1. ears

ears Portal User

Ratings:
    +59 / 0
    Hi,
    Couldn't find a place for this in development so posting here - hope that's OK.

I'm not experienced with Git Clone. I know a bit of C# and am interested in finding out if there's a way I can help. I won't try to mislead anyone - I'm a long term project - it'll be a while before I'm doing anything of any use...

Anyway I'm having trouble with the old git. I've followed wiki instructions and git clone hered. with a git:// address.

It spends ages downloading, and I get nearly 2gb of stuff but it's all hidden away in a .git folder in Windows - most of it in a .pack folder when git has finished downloading.

Please could someone tell me how I then turn that into something that VS can open?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lightning303
    • Premium Supporter

Lightning303 MP Donator

Ratings:
    +578 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
  4. ears

ears Portal User

Ratings:
    +59 / 0
    Thanks yeah I'm using TortoiseGit.

The problem is that after the download the folder appears empty, apart from a hidden .git folder. It's like it downloads it but doesn't unpack it. How do I unpack it?

5. regeszter
    • Premium Supporter

regeszter Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +5,152 / 18
    Home Country:
    Hungary Hungary
    Hi,

can you upload some screenshot from your TortoiseGit (git clone)?

6. Edalex
    • Premium Supporter

Edalex Community Plugin Dev

Ratings:
    +1,229 / 9
    Home Country:
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Show System Specs
    I assume it was fixed since guy is already trying to merge smth in git according to another thread :)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. ears

ears Portal User

Ratings:
    +59 / 0
    Hi,

Yes - sorry for not getting back sooner. The only thing I can think of is, when I did the first git clone, I didn't specify a branch. It downloaded everything but just left it packed up in a .git folder. I did it again in a new folder, specified a branch and this time it all got nicely unpacked and placed in the folder I did the clone from.

Thanks for the help.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!