Help starting out with a Git clone (1 Viewer)

ears

Portal Member
October 7, 2008
Hi,
Couldn't find a place for this in development so posting here - hope that's OK.

I'm not experienced with Git Clone. I know a bit of C# and am interested in finding out if there's a way I can help. I won't try to mislead anyone - I'm a long term project - it'll be a while before I'm doing anything of any use...

Anyway I'm having trouble with the old git. I've followed wiki instructions and git clone hered. with a git:// address.

It spends ages downloading, and I get nearly 2gb of stuff but it's all hidden away in a .git folder in Windows - most of it in a .pack folder when git has finished downloading.

Please could someone tell me how I then turn that into something that VS can open?

ears

Portal Member
October 7, 2008
Thanks yeah I'm using TortoiseGit.

The problem is that after the download the folder appears empty, apart from a hidden .git folder. It's like it downloads it but doesn't unpack it. How do I unpack it?

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Hi,

can you upload some screenshot from your TortoiseGit (git clone)?

ears

Portal Member
    October 7, 2008
    Hi,

Yes - sorry for not getting back sooner. The only thing I can think of is, when I did the first git clone, I didn't specify a branch. It downloaded everything but just left it packed up in a .git folder. I did it again in a new folder, specified a branch and this time it all got nicely unpacked and placed in the folder I did the clone from.

Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom