Help with building and HPTC (1 Viewer)

JJayzon

Portal Member
November 19, 2011
Massachussetts
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hello everyone,

I going to build an HTPC, I want to be able to stream content from sites like Netflix & Hulu, play Blu Ray & DVDs, play mp3s, and rip my Blu Ray & DVDs so I don’t have to load a disc when I want to watch one. I want to be able to connect the HTPC to my TV via HDMI connection. The link below is my New Egg wish list if I went with this setup would I be over building or under building this computer? I will be running windows 7 because I already have Any DVDHD by Slysoft. What format should I rip the Blu Rays & DVDs to? Is there anything missing, what other software should I use? Could I build an HPTC that would do everything I want (reasonably well) for less $$? All suggestions are welcome I am still in the research phase I will have to wait till I get my tax return in a few months.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=15199311

Thanks

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi JJayzon,

Just a quick reply to say Welcome!

If you are going to the trouble of building a specific HTPC with a connection to your TV, I feel it would be prudent to add a TV tuner card in the costs.This could be satellite or terrestial, or whatever suits your particular location.

A lot of people on this forum tend to rip DVD's/BR to .mkv files as it saves on HDD space. Just in the process of doing this myself with over 600+ films. I'm doing it manually, so it is a long process.

I'm sorry I can't help with your hardware list, I too, have to rely on others advice for that :oops:

You don't state which part of the world you are in, it would probably assist with other replies if you could be more specific about your location. The forum is a true international effort - you name the country, and there probably is a user from it on here somewhere ;)

HTH,

M.

JJayzon

Portal Member
    November 19, 2011
    Massachussetts
    Home Country
    Hi JJayzon,

Just a quick reply to say Welcome!

If you are going to the trouble of building a specific HTPC with a connection to your TV, I feel it would be prudent to add a TV tuner card in the costs.This could be satellite or terrestial, or whatever suits your particular location.

A lot of people on this forum tend to rip DVD's/BR to .mkv files as it saves on HDD space. Just in the process of doing this myself with over 600+ films. I'm doing it manually, so it is a long process.

I'm sorry I can't help with your hardware list, I too, have to rely on others advice for that :oops:

You don't state which part of the world you are in, it would probably assist with other replies if you could be more specific about your location. The forum is a true international effort - you name the country, and there probably is a user from it on here somewhere ;)

HTH,
    M.

Thank you porky996t. I didn’t include a tv tuner card because I have Direct Tv and I didn’t think I could benefit from one, am I wrong? What program do you use to rip your dvds? I want to find that sweet spot between image quality and size. I would want to these video files on a 37 inch flat screen not on something like an Ipod. I downloaded Handbreak but is seems that it is for converting these files to a format for smaller screen sizes, am I doing something wrong? I am still figuring it out.

Thanks

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi JJayzon,

I use Handbrake, and I find that it is a bit trial and error, but I do find it flexible in the settings you can change. It is probably best to set up some custom 'templates' so it is easier to use. I use a 47" LCD so I am conscious of the rendering quality, so just tend to reduce the bitrate. I was recommended Handbrake by a couple of other forum users. It may help if you search for Handbrake using the forum search function, it will probably turn up a lot of posts.

I use three dual tuners in my setup, so I can receive satellite and terrestrial broadcasts. I put TV Cards in so I could tidy up the whole TV stand - it enabled me to get rid of the DVD Player, set top PVR and SKY TV satellite box. I now just have the HTPC box and a Surround Sound Receiver and just one remote control. Additional advantage is the ability to stream HD TV ( along with all other 6Tb of media) to the bedroom and kitchen clients without having to pat Sat TV provider for their bespoke box.

HTH,

M.

JJayzon

Portal Member
    November 19, 2011
    Massachussetts
    Home Country
    Hi JJayzon,

I use Handbrake, and I find that it is a bit trial and error, but I do find it flexible in the settings you can change. It is probably best to set up some custom 'templates' so it is easier to use. I use a 47" LCD so I am conscious of the rendering quality, so just tend to reduce the bitrate. I was recommended Handbrake by a couple of other forum users. It may help if you search for Handbrake using the forum search function, it will probably turn up a lot of posts.

I use three dual tuners in my setup, so I can receive satellite and terrestrial broadcasts. I put TV Cards in so I could tidy up the whole TV stand - it enabled me to get rid of the DVD Player, set top PVR and SKY TV satellite box. I now just have the HTPC box and a Surround Sound Receiver and just one remote control. Additional advantage is the ability to stream HD TV ( along with all other 6Tb of media) to the bedroom and kitchen clients without having to pat Sat TV provider for their bespoke box.

HTH,

M.

Oh so you can get good quality using hand break I will keep playing with it. I hadn’t thought about other rooms in my house that is a good point. I am still so new at this I don't know about setting up clients. I’ll have to do more research and planning, thanks for the good idea.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi JJayzon,

Re the clients, they are pretty easy to set up. I use the Zotac ZBoxes and stream over a wired network using EOP "Homeplugs". I think there are some forum members who stream to about six or more clients :eek:

MePo basically consists of two main components, one part is the TV Server and the other part is the Client front end. When you install MP you are asked if you will be using it to watch TV - if you say yes, the TV Server part is installed in addition to the client, if you say no, you'll just get the 'client' part installed. The Tv Server is the bit that deals with the EPG, Channel scanning, timeshifting & recording. The client just deals with the media playback elements, and it is in the client that you set up the paths to various storage drives for films and music etc. On my main HTPC I have both TV Server and Client installed as this is where the TV Cards are. On the clients, I just have the 'client' part installed and use an IP address to connect to the live TV stream.

I must admit, that MP is abit daunting at first, (or it was to me) there really is so much that can be done with it it can overwhelm at the beginning.

HTH,

M

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom