help with codecs and containers for wiki (1 Viewer)

O

~ok|

hi,
I began (under InfinityLoop scrutiny) a kind of "what codecs do I need to play my file" wiki page. But quickly the task became tricky as I was not able to check each and every codec capability available (and especially with the commercial products). So please, if you do find some time, may you fix/fill the gaps/extend with your knowledge on the codecs you own this page: http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/UserGuides/codecs_and_containers

My knowledge is way too limited on the subject and I feel that the page is really confusing/unusable for new users as it is now.
In my opinion it should either be deleted at this stage or urgently be completed/modified.
Comments and critics are more than welcome.

cheers

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I just looked at this page a little bit and tend to agree with <ok|.

I found that the chart doesn't work at all (columns don't line up) if you are using Internet Explorer (no big surprise):

BUT - If you are using FireFox it is a little better but still the columns don't all line up either:

O

~ok|

thanks a lot but I will halt the extension of this page until I'm done with the development of a plugin I'm engaged with.
    In the interim I really hope I'll be able to find some time to continue what's still left to be finished on the page and help with other wiki pages.

BTW your work within the test team and for the wiki pages is so vital. Keep it up as it is :).

player-x

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Great page and lots of work :D

However wane ask you, do you have a list of codec 's/pack that are most used.
    I mean what is best way to install and what not to install.
    I found out that even de order of installment can give problems.

So could you make a install list in order, for example

1 ffdshow
    2 Real Alternative
    3 Q-time Alternative
    4 lame
    5 ect. ect.

Grtz Michael

O

~ok|

hi (and thanks)

codec packs are prone to put a bl*ody mess in your HTPC. Almost everyone in the forums is against their use. I wholeheartedly agree, however, if you really want to use a codec pack then FFDShow is rock-stable ;)

Finding a correct order for codec registration is not a problem if you do not install redundant filters. Otherwise you will have to manually modify their corresponding 'merit' to favour one over another, but this is reserved to experienced users only. The manipulation is IMHO too risky to be exposed in the wiki page.
    If you personally encounter difficulties to find a proper order of installation then, don't spread the word but, I'm fairly fond of Cole2k's codec pack. Quite harmless IMO. But don't mix it with other packs!

In the end it really depends on what you want to play.

See this thread if you want to know what other MP users use: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showthread.php?t=7762
    Most seem to have FFDShow, a MPEG2 decoder and both Real Alternative and QuickTime Alternative installed. Install them in this order.

Please augment the wiki page with your experience and comments when you're finished installing your codecs.

mPod

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Every MediaPortal user should keep the fingers off of codec packs. They can break your system and may cause weird and unexpected behaviour while building graphs.

The Team MediaPortal does NOT support any codec pack. We strongly recommend latest ffdshow for all non-MPEG2 playback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom