Help with Logitech X-530 5.1 system and low center channel (1 Viewer)

Leburn

November 7, 2005
Hey guys, before I start I just wanted to say I am new to Media Portal. Actually I have yet to try it. My problem below is with WMP9, WinDVD 7, and PowerDVD

I recently bought the Logitech X-530 speaker system at my local futureshop for $70 CDN. I have onboard 5.1 sound with my MSI K7N2 Delta-L motherboard.

I am overall pleased with this speaker system. My music and games sound great. Bass is nice, while not disturbing my neighbours on a daily basis. Perfect system for a bedroom which is my need.

However, when it comes to movies (DVD) it is another story. Although the surround sound sounds great, the center channel speaker is fairly inaudible. I am able to raise the volume to hear the dialogue but then everything else is too loud.

I have tried tweaking in the audio control panel by lowering the volumes for the front and rear left and right speakers as well as the subwoofer. This does seem to do the trick somewhat, but since my speakers are already up to 75% volume, the speaker noise is annoying.

I was wondering if any of you have had a similar problem with the X-530s and my onboard sound or similar.

I am considering purchasing a sound card. I have noticed from looking at reviews for the X-530 that many have the Audigy 2 with it. The only thing I am worried about is I may end up spending another $100 CDN for a soundcard which doesn't really fix my problem. Does anyone know if the Audigy 2 or similar (hopefully cheaper) card will make such an improvement.

Another option I have is to use my home stereo system (which these speakers are replacing) for the center channel to give it a slight boost. I currently have it hooked up but I find bass is completely missing from this, which I assume is normal in a 5.1 system. I was wondering if there is a way or a tweak to get my computer to send all sound to the center speaker (my stereo) while still sending the basic left, right, LFE channels to their appropriate speaker. This would be a nice cheap alternative for now, until I'm able to spend money on a new sound card.

I know I asked alot of questions. Hopefully someone has these speakers and can confirm that its not the speakers but my onboard sound. I just heard some many great reviews about their quality that it seems rather disapointing to me. Thanks in advance.

Note** I noticed that my front panel headphone jack always seemed rather low, this could possibly be due to the onboard sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom