Help with videocard and tuner (low-profile) (1 Viewer)

Jelte

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 24, 2006
    Netherlands
    I'm setting up my first HTCP. It's a low budget HTCP and is only going to be used for TV (watching, recording), DVD and music.

What I have now:

- Dell Optiplex 180 case/ motherboard with a
    - Processor: Intel Pentium 3, 1.0 Ghz
    - Memory: 512MB SD-RAM PC133 CAS3 (2x 256MB)
    - Hard disk: 160GB Seagate Barracuda 9, 7200RPM, 8MB cache

I need to buy the following things to complete my HTCP:

- TFT screen
    - Videocard
    - Tv tuner card
    - Remote control

TFT screen:

The TFT screen is probally going to be the Acer AL1916W. It's a widescreen 19 inch TFT (1440x900 resolution, contrast 500:1, VGA/DVI, 8ms response) which is available here (Netherlands) for about 200 euro.

The problem:

So I need to choose a videocard and a TV tuner. The problem is my Optiplex case is a very small case, so I only can have small cards in hight. No Hauppage cards, look at my example:

Example:

19809.jpg

Is not going to fit.

26735.jpg

Is going to fit.

Videocard:

- I thougt about a Geforce 6200, 128MB DDR. It's a cheap, and not high (is size), DX9 card.

TV Tuner:

- Pinnacle PCTV 40i. Also a cheap, and not high (in size), TV tuner card.

No my questions:

- Are these good choises, are do you recommend something else?
    - Is the TFT a good choise?
    - Is there a better suitable videocard?
    - Or a much better TV Tuner?
    - Which remote control is the best?
    - Is this system able to run MediaPortal for TV (watching, recording), DVD and music?

(with all, think about the prices, it's a low budget HTCP)

Thank you very much for your help.

Jelte

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 24, 2006
    Netherlands
    Callifo said:
    I do believe the new Hauppauge Nova-T 500 is a low profile card. 6200 is a good choice too.

Thanx for your quick answer. If you mean this card, it's not a low profile card.

Do I need to have a card with hardware encoding, or is without also possible with my system?

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Thats a PVR-500, I mean Nova-T 500, but that was assuming you wanted a DVB-T card (that picture you put above contains a DVB-T card).

If you want an analogue card then get a hardware mpeg2 encoder card definately.

Ive seen Hauppauge PVR-150MCE cards in low profile before (loose rca in connectors though).

Jelte

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 24, 2006
    Netherlands
    Callifo said:
    Thats a PVR-500, I mean Nova-T 500, but that was assuming you wanted a DVB-T card (that picture you put above contains a DVB-T card).

If you want an analogue card then get a hardware mpeg2 encoder card definately.

Ive seen Hauppauge PVR-150MCE cards in low profile before (loose rca in connectors though).

I only need an analog card (put coax into it), the pictures were just for example.

Are these card payable?

simonsez

Portal Member
    April 4, 2005
    Kentucky, US
    Like Callifo said, Hauppauge does make a low profile PVR-150MCE that's good. I've enjoyed the quality that mine produces. It's usually very cheap, too. No problems with the connectors...

As for the video card, if you go ATI, they have several variations of the Radeon 9550 and 9600 (both DX9) that are low profile. Mine has S-Video and DVI out. I picked up my PVR-150MCE and Radeon 9550SE for a total of US$95.

Good luck.

Jelte

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 24, 2006
    Netherlands
    simonsez said:
    Like Callifo said, Hauppauge does make a low profile PVR-150MCE that's good. I've enjoyed the quality that mine produces. It's usually very cheap, too. No problems with the connectors...

As for the video card, if you go ATI, they have several variations of the Radeon 9550 and 9600 (both DX9) that are low profile. Mine has S-Video and DVI out. I picked up my PVR-150MCE and Radeon 9550SE for a total of US$95.

Good luck.

I can't find a PVR-150MCE low profile for under 80 euro's (100 dollar) :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom