Here's the Weather image URL's for the UK from weather.com (1 Viewer)

ch0colate

Portal Member
October 25, 2006
Home Country
England England
It works!

Right you are, I was using the exact text for the URL rather than copying the underlying link.

Works like a charm now, thanks both for answering so quickly!

:D

EViS

Portal Pro
September 30, 2006
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Seem to be working here? Atleast their upto date to the hour at the moment...

sleepycol

Portal Pro
June 2, 2006
Home Country
Hi Guys,

I wonder if any clever programmers/devs could write something for the My weather to incorporate the BBC weather images?

From the following BBC weather main page BBC - Weather Centre - UK Weather, you can click on the text links for different maps and the arrows for different times. Then just right click on image and properties to get the image URL. EG.....

The url for the Cloud map is http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/charts/uk/uk_cloudrain_08051121.jpg

The url for the temp map is http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/charts/uk/uk_temperature_08051212.jpg

Note the format is fairly logical at the end. Eg for "08" "05" "12" is 12th May 2008 and the number at the end is the time -1 eg "21" is 22:00 or 10pm. Or 12 is 11:00 or 11am.

Also, the BBC provide RSS feeds for a specific towns 3 day forecast etc, so this could also used?

I wondered if something could be written to access these images? Like a BBC weather plugin?

Just a thought

Cheers,
Colin

Cheers,
Colin

iancalderban

Portal Pro
December 12, 2008
milton keynes
Home Country
Hi Guys,

I wonder if any clever programmers/devs could write something for the My weather to incorporate the BBC weather images?

just stumbled on this thread. sorry I'm not a coder. did anything come of this? I would love a such a plugin. The static images in the earlier post are ok for what they are, but bbc site plugin would be awesome. I break out to browser to check the BBC site if really want to know what weather is, a simple picture is not enough.

I did notice that the frame where the pic displays in the middle of the BBC site seems to be java or javascript. so if there was some MP plugin that could call that....that might do it.

Ian

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Have a look at the new Beta weather site - BBC Weather beta | Germany

The maps are now interactive and use Flash. I guess it would be possible to re-write the plugin to pull the flash though, but then you would probably loose the interactive controls for it. The BBC may make an API available, I believe they are planning that for their radio feeds.

It does seem to have been in Beta for a while though.

iancalderban

Portal Pro
    December 12, 2008
    milton keynes
    Home Country

KevL

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2005
    Cambridge, UK
    Home Country
    Just had a look at the metrologica maps.

Quite like the look of the lightning map.

Presumably it would be easy to get MP to point to jpgs on local hard disk. Just need to bodge together a background app to copy image files to local hard disk and keep the images updated. Would need to mod the weather app though - to add extra catagories of image (e.g inc the fine lightning map).

The advantage of a little helper app in the background is that it would avoid messing with the million lines of code in MP etc. Little app would run in the background on a slow timer. Such a thing could be knocked up in anything I would have thought.

Anyone else up for this?

Kev

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom