HEVC / H265 Codec Video Playback (1 Viewer)

crytec

Portal Member
April 18, 2012
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi,

I wanted to ask if there is a way to play a H265 video file in MediaPortal?
I found no thread about HEVC at all. So is there anything in development or a trick to get MP to play these files?
VLC supports H265 since release 2.1.1 and DivX Player 10 supports it also.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    IIRC VLC only has an encoder inbuilt, no decoder. And the mkv files Divx produces only play inside the Divx player and nowhere else.
    Not to mention that encoding currently takes ~10x as long as h.264/x.264.

As long as there are no (decent) direct show filters that can play h265 (i.e. LAVF package), you will not be able to play them inside MP.

h.265 is still a very new codec. I guess that it will take another 6 months to finally see the en- and decoders to mature.

*edit* like Vasilich pointed out, LAVF already supports it. So MP should also be able to play these files when installed.

crytec

Portal Member
    April 18, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I tested it with LAV Filters 0.59.1, it works really well with MKV H265 videos. Thanks for the hint!

Plopeye

Portal Member
    October 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    On Astra 19,2E there is a FTA test channel in H265. I would like to test it but the tv server keeps saying no audio/video detected.

It looks like the detection needs to be upgraded to support H265

FannieJane

June 3, 2015
    Home Country
    Armenia Armenia
    I have seen that the new DivX Player 10 shows off H.265/HEVC playback. But as far as I know, the H.265 is encoded with a new codec not recognized by most video players.

apoptygma

Portal Pro
    November 14, 2008
    Adelaide
    Home Country
    I've had LAV 0.62 installed since I built my Mediaportal install and only just tried to play an x265 encoded video, the logs show playback starting and stopping but all that happens is the screen flashes black for a second before returning to the Mediaportal gui. X265 isn't shown in the formats list on the LAV video configuration screen. WMP throws an error when attempting playback, vlc plays them fine. Aside from reinstalling LAV is there something I need to do?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Aside from reinstalling LAV is there something I need to do?
    If I were you I'd update to the latest version of LAV. If that doesn't help, I'd:
    • try the samples -->here<--
    • post full MP log files collected using the watchdog
    • post screenshots of LAV configuration

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom