Hi guys, how can I best help out (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

Hi everybody!

It's taken me a while but I've finally had a chance to check out your great project and I looks like the perfect place for me to do all the things I wanted to do as part of what I've been calling DScaler 5.

Here's a quick list of the things I would like to help out with in some kind of priority order

1) Tidying up the VideoPlayers code to split out the common code around render devices
2) Adding DVB-T support with BDA drivers
3) Support for analog (non-MPEG) cards - "my DScaler" perhaps :)
4) Integrated support for the GPL MPEG decoders and processing filters I'm working on as DScaler 5
5) Adding support for effects and general cool stuff with VMR
6) More flexible aspect control

While I understand that you probably do most of the developement discussions on IRC, I haven't got access to that most of the time so I wonder if it would be possible to discuss the best way of proceeding with some of these, especially the top three. I can see from the other discussions you're already planning to work on number 3 but it's probably worth checking I'm thinking along sensible lines befor submitting big patches.

Cheers

John
DScaler Project
http://www.dscaler.org

A

Anonymous

Just thought I'd add a bit of detail on soem of what I wanted to do.

1) Tidying up the VideoPlayers code to split out the common code around render devices
Looking at the code in VideoPlayer there is a lot of repeated code to handle the different render targets (overlay, VMR, VMR wl etc), what I was going to do was to create a IRenderTarget interface which was passed to each of the player objects constructors, the players would then pass off render stuff the the actual class, hopefully simplifying the code and meaning changes to rendering code can be localised.

2) Adding DVB-T support with BDA drivers
Quite a few chalenges here, the main question is whether it's best to try and have all the TV code in one place or just to create a new add in "my DVB" or something. Most of the OSD code should be common but the whole area of channels and setup will be very diffrerent. I'm happy to take a steer on this.

Cheers

John

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    John this sounds terrific!

I would really appreciate if you could help us here
    Let me know what you need 2 get started
    and yes, most developing talks are on IRC
    so come bye and visit us

You can install mIRC or if you behind a firewall goto
    http://chat.efnet.info/irc.cgi?adv=1

Dont forget to goto #mediaportal!!

Frodo

A

Anonymous

frodo said:
    I would really appreciate if you could help us here
    Let me know what you need 2 get started
    and yes, most developing talks are on IRC
    so come bye and visit us

I'll be along for a sometime soon hopefully, but in the mean time as long as you don't think my ideas are too stupid I'll package some changes up as patches, going forward once you're comfortable that I'm not mad getting cvs rights would be great.

Cheers

John

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I think you already prove yourself by writing DScaler
    I looked @ dscalers code a while back, and its pretty advanced stuff

So if you need CVS access, no problem.
    Lemme know your SF account name and i'll add you to the devs. list

We're pretty excited that you consider joining our project
    and looking forward to those patches!
    Frodo

A

Anonymous

Frodo

Thanks for the compliments, I might be quite good at C++ but my .NET skills are pretty basic atm and to me all this UI and interop stuff looks very advanced to me.

I especially don't want to go wading in and causing instability all over the place especially if I'm not in the loop about releases etc, I've been on the other side of this and know how annoying that can be.

If it's OK with you it would help me out greatly if I got cvs access as I can't access cvs anonymously at work but I won't check anything in without your permission at first, I'll post patches to sf so that you can at least take a quick look at changes, once you say it's Ok I'll check them in. Hopefully this is a good compromise allowing you control over what's in cvs at any point in time without too much effort on your part.

my sf user name is adcockj

Cheers

John

barranger

Portal Pro
    May 31, 2004
    Wow, this is definately the best way to start off a Friday :D

Great to hear your joining John!!!

A

Anonymous

Yeah very cool! Looking forward to it!

And John: I like testing new codecs so If you need to test a new version of your Dscaler 5 codecs, I'm your man ;) :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom