High CPU Usage while Mediaportal is idle (1 Viewer)

karlostavitc

Portal Member
May 23, 2008
Home Country
Just to clarify whats happening on TV-Series, see attached images of when I try to empty the database or update it.

Attachments

• empty.JPG
    empty.JPG
    25.4 KB
  • import.JPG
    import.JPG
    78.8 KB

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Reread that, confused myself :)

As long as the TVshows do not show up elsewhere, ie in Movies, as they will be in that db as well.

Unable to read the text for this, try using winsnap, much better for capturing screenshots.

karlostavitc

Portal Member
    May 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Horay! TVSeries database appears to be importing my files. I Don't know how the mediainfo file dissapeared in the first place considering the TV Series plugin was working initially. I even tried re-extracting all the TV series files back into the folders but still the same problem.

Hopefully this will sort out all my problems!

Thanks again! Paraniod, if you don't hear from me I am a happy camper.

Paranoid > I am not so lucky, I have got pages of sql query errors filling my TVSeries logs. I re-downloaded the TVseries plugin but didn't even see the mediainfo.dll in there, if I know how it should have got onto my computer in the first place I might be able to detirmine the component(s) I need to re-install.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Theres a readme note in the TVSeries download, pointing to the sourceforge webpage to get the mediainfo.dll

Crap if you have to start over.

jonywee

Portal Member
    September 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Ty Paranoid. The USB drive is added recently and only in use for backup. However, I detached the drive and rebooted. Still no improvement.

Something else: I installed 1.0RC1 on a laptop and the behaviour kind of the the same. But now is consumes 10% CPU when idle & focussed. And 2% when no focus. This laptop has a faster CPU (Core2 T5500 @ 1.66MHz). Could this high CPU consuption be the normal behaviour? Or do other users experience much lower CPU rates under these conditions?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Most of the strain should be taken by the graphics processor unit, only things like the database loading or updating should raise the cpu levels.

If you are getting 2% with no activity, would say thats right, the increase to 10% when active screen could be offsetting what a good gpu would do over to the cpu.

Cannot all fit a 7900 into a htpc :), besides its so outdated, but until it gives up the ghost don't care.

jonywee

Portal Member
    September 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    @Paranoid
    On previous MP versions the CPU never reached 50% while recording TV *and* watching DVD. Thanks to the hardware MPEG2 from the 6150. Now it does 50% in *some* screens while just being idle. I hope this is not normal behavior. It is not top-notch hardware, but deliberately chosen to be low on energy consumption and noise levels. As for many HTPCs. And the 10% is on a laptop that was high-end only 15 months ago.

Anyway, I'm out of ideas and it is not a show stopper. The 20% CPU load prevents the fan from throttling down even further (slight noise effect) and the waste of 27/4 CPU load is only a few euro's on the energy bill (don't tell Al Gore). Thank you for your help and if I get any more ideas I will post 'em here.

planb

Portal Member
    April 30, 2008
    Home Country
    I've noticed my fans are running higher with the latest version of svn, and also the menu going sluggish / not responding quickly to remote.

Haven't checked CPU usage but i do belive it is using more with this version.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    planb

As always, system specifications needed.

jonywee

Laptops, besides a few exceptions are not built to handle multimedia well, thats from the base motherboard used upwards.

Remember mediaportal at this moment in time relies heavily on DX9, so like any game played today, needs a complete system that can handle it, not just the odd component.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom